Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Mac was a nervous shaking mess as they arrived for dinner. She couldn’t let all those people see her scared. She took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and pushed all her fears away. It helped to see familiar faces; Aunt Kate and Belinda were inside chatting over a drink.

Mrs. Chandler rushed right up to them. “Megan honey you look so pretty.” She smiled at Mac and adjusted Dean’s tie. “Let’s get started.”  She introduced the happy couple and announced they’d sit for dinner in ten minutes. Mac held onto Megan’s hand while Dean went to say hello to his family.

“You look ready to bolt.”

She jumped at the sound of Jake’s voice; she hadn’t even heard him come close. “Crap, I’m trying to hide it.” The fact it was still easy to talk to Jake hadn’t changed at all. They had met twice again at the office and the last time they spoke for a few minutes as friends. She had really missed that.

“I know the signs. You looked like this on our first date.”

“I’m not good with big crowds or fancy things. That sounds pitiful. But Dean looks happy, that makes this worth it.” she watched him smile with his family and friends. He left to make a better life for his child but the light in his eyes showed the love he felt for those people and how he had missed them. At least the wedding was good for something.

Jake stole Megan away to show her around while Mac met up with Kira at the bar. “So Dean Chandler huh? I never did believe you when you swore up and down how much you hated him.” They hadn’t spoken since Mac moved from her aunt’s home.

“I did hate him but it turned into something else.” That was the truth. “I’m glad you could make it. I really needed guests on my side.”

“I can see why. I think his mom invited every Chandler ever born, I might have to snatch one up.”

Alicia Chandler ran a tight ship. After exactly ten minutes she summoned everyone over to the long rectangle table. Mackenzie sat next to Dean and Megan sat between her and Kira. Dinner was dainty but nice. It was obvious Alicia went all out and wanted the night to be perfect.

“Are you alright?” Dean whispered along her ear halfway through the main course.

“I’m not going to lose my mind, it’s ok but you so owe me for this. I mean huge.”

“Add it to the list.” He leaned in and kissed her.

“Ohhh.”

“Shut up Kira.” Mac was getting used to the public affection; her cheeks only grew warm instead of burning hot.

After dinner they made rounds as a couple and said goodbye to those that weren’t joining them for the rehearsal. “Coach Niles, meet Mackenzie my fiancé.” Dean boasted.

“We’ve met.” Coach Gerry Niles was a pleasant man with graying brown hair and a bright smile. “Mac’s the one that told me I should take a chance on you for the team.”

“Nice to see you again sir. Dean doesn’t know anything about that.”  Mac forced a smile and started to resent having to face this night again.

“Oh well why not? Now that you two are getting married it’s really a beautiful story of friendship turning into love.” The coach thought they had been friends in high school and she couldn’t correct him.

“You’re right.” Dean jumped in before Mac could. “Why don’t you tell me about it?” he asked of Gerry while keeping his arm wrapped around Mac’s waist.

“When I was in town scouting at one of those final games what really stuck out was Mac’s control of the team and how she worked with Coach Scott. I thought the best person to ask about each player’s straightens and weaknesses would be the person working with them behind the scenes. She told me you stood out above all the rest, that you were exactly what my school needed. Accepting that advice was the best thing I ever did. We’re lucky to have you Dean and I wish you all the luck in the world tomorrow.”