Off the beaten track

Arthur's POV

I wanted to know everything I could know about my son, the son I never knew. How he grew up, what he learned. The journeys he took with Merlin. I wanted to know ever little detail but I know far from that at the moment. Merlin said he would tell me all in good time but the main focus right now is returning to where Camelot once stood.

"Why aren't we travelling by horse?" Gwaine asked for the third time in ten minutes. Merlin looked like he was about to explode.

"I'm saying this one last time and if you ask me again you may end up back in Avalon ok?" Merlin said to Gwaine. Gwaine nodded but I saw him smirk when Merlin wasn't looking.

"Horses are not a good way of travel anymore. You don't see many people travel on horse. They use horses to ride now for fun not travel. We need to travel a different way. From what I researched I think we should just walk. I mean I wouldn't mind catching a train, a bus or use a car. But I'm not sure all of you could handle that," Merlin says softly.

"What's so bad about them all? If its quicker to use a..bust then we go for it," says Gwaine.

"It's a bus Gwaine not a bust," I say before Merlin can.

"Bus, so what if I said it wrong it doesn't matter. Can we just use the quickest route," says Gwaine getting a little irritable.

"Alright but don't say I didn't warn you," Merlin says as he sips up his bag.

"I wish I could come," Gaius says.

"What do you mean?" Merlin asks.

"I have to stay here," says Gaius.

"Why shouldn't we all return to where it all happened, return to our home," Merlin says.

"Not me I'm afraid, but don't worry we will see each other soon. I must stay close to the lake that is why but you haven't got the time to know why. I wish you good luck," says Gaius.

Merlin brings Gaius into an embrace," I maybe older then you but I still miss your wisdom and your support," Merlin says as they pull apart.

"Me too, I missed you a lot," smiles Gaius.

"Not as much as me," Merlin says.

"No, because you lived through it all, but that what makes you the most loyal friend and warlock there ever will be," smiles Gaius.

Merlin's POV

Arthur sat in the passenger seat while Gwaine, Elyan and Lancelot sat squeezed in the back. I would be the one driving, I'm the only one who knows how. I mean, could you imagine me driving around me as old as I looked before I got turned back into my young form? Yeah well lets say learning to drive at an age where you look older then seventy looks weird, I remember these teenagers tried to put me off, laughing and being a nonsense but I still past first time.

"Do I have to wear this?" Gwaine asks. I look at him in the mirror," Yes, this is the quickest route, if you want to get pulled over by the police then be my guest but I rather not waste time. You wanted this quickest way so abide by the rules. I did warn you," I add. Arthur laughs, Gwaine just grunts and Lancelot started whistling randomly.

I shrug before I start the car up, put it in the right gear and reverse back onto the road. I turn slightly onto the right side of the road before driving forward down it. "What the heck is with the twenty first century," groans Gwaine.

"Give it a rest, Gwaine. Before I chuck you out the car and you can stay with Gaius!" snaps Arthur. "You're not the King anymore, I don't have to do what you," "Gwaine enough, too us he will always be our King," I butt in.

"Sorry, you're right Merlin. Sorry, Arthur."

"No, Gwaine it's fine. I'm not King anymore but Merlin is trying to drive and I doubt its easy. So the last thing he needs is you groaning," Arthur says softly.

"Sorry, Merlin," Gwaine says before falling silent. I think its the first time we have ever been able to shut him up.

"Gwaine can you stop playing with my belt," Elyan says sharply. I crack a smile, which Gwaine catches making him laugh. I shake my head quickly after.

It didn't take long before I was driving off a main road in to a rough looking one, tree's seemed to get bigger and bigger as we get further. The sky didn't look too good either. I may have magic, but I don't know everything. These roads all look the same, the tree's are blocking out the view ahead properly too.

"Didn't we go by that tree a minute ago?" asks Gwaine.

"Maybe, not sure. It's really confusing. Arthur check the map," I suggest.

"What map?" he asks confused.

"You forgot to pick it up off the side? I told you too," Merlin says.

"Oh yeah then I did. Sorry Merlin last thing on my mind," Arthur sighs.

"Great, now we are going to get lost," Merlin says frustrated.

"I'm sure if we keep heading straight," began Lancelot. Suddenly something crashed in front of the car, a tree had some how fallen blocking our route ahead.

"Are you kidding me," says Gwaine.

"I can just move it with magic," I say getting out the car.

"We are off the beaten track a bit aren't we?" says Arthur.

"Just a bit," I sigh.

But I hope soon we will be out of here and back where Camelot once stood. I'm not sure how much I can take of driving so I hope it don't take too long or I may just be ditching the car. I may know how to drive but we haven't had a good start with it so far.

------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading guys.

Leave your comments, votes anything at all means a lot :)