Mistake

Not edited.

Harry’s POV

 “Flight 306 to Australia now boarding”

I jump as I’m startled out of my thoughts, grabbing Delilah’s hand in mine and leading her to the doors. We do the basic procedure, and then we are boarding the plane. I keep Delilah securely tucked under my arm, her slightly trembling body making me want to comfort her even more. We didn’t have to do much considering we don’t have suitcases, just her purse.

As we walk down the narrow corridor some people start whispering things, pointing at me and a distressed Delilah. We got first class tickets, courtesy of me being 1/5 of One Direction, but since we weren’t here early enough we didn’t board before tourist passengers.

Photos start being snapped, so I duck my head and wrap my arm tighter around Delilah’s- making her duck her head as well.

Once we finally get to our sits I let Del take the window seat, me settling down next to her. I shove on the jumper I brought for her- which is actually mine- on her and then put on mine. It’s pretty chilly in here, thanks to the air conditioning, so Delilah immediately sends me a halfhearted grateful smile.

“Come here” I mumble pulling her closer to me. She rests her head on my chest, so I start playing with her curls, twirling her locks around my fingers, and occasionally tracing random patterns on her soft skin. Every now and again I kiss the top of her head, or her cheek, or her forehead. Everything just to show her she isn’t alone.

“Do you think he’s going to be okay?” Delilah whispers about thirty minutes in the flight. I ponder on the question for a minute, I don’t want to make any promises I can’t keep.

It’s not under my power what happens to Dylan, and I know that if something horrible does end up happening I’ll lose Delilah forever.

I’m basically walking on egg shells with her right now, I have to be very cautious with what I say or do.

“I don’t know” I honestly tell her, “But we didn’t hear everything the lady had to say, so maybe we are taking things worse than we should”

“It’s my fault” She chokes out, and soon enough I feel droplets on my hand. I kiss the top of her head and wipe her tears with my thumbs, but it’s no use. The waterworks keep coming, so I just let her cry into my chest. She has to let it out sooner or later.

“No it wasn’t” I argue with her point, how could it have been her fault?

“We were yelling at each other and he was driving” Her body starts shaking even more, her breath coming uneven. I rub my hand up and down her back, trying desperately to calm her down. Seeing her in pain is like a stab to the heart, and sadly it seems like Delilah’s world revolves around pain.

I cradle her close to me, wrapping my arms tighter around her as she continues to choke on her on sobs. I try to put myself in her position, thinking of how I would feel if one of my boys was in a coma.

The thought immediately sends shivers down my spine and causes me stomach to flip. I think I would lose it. I don’t know how I would handle myself if Zayn, Louis, Liam or Niall were in a coma.

“The last thing I told him was that I hated him” She whimpers, burying her face deeper in my chest.

“He knows you didn’t mean it” I reassure her. The lads and I fight all the time and we always end up saying things we don’t mean. That’s completely normal, simply a natural reaction to anger.

There are a million things that must be going through Delilah’s head right now.

Dylan.

The wreck.