Chapter 39 - Judgement Day

CHAPTER 39 - Judgement Day

Scott laughed nervously and kissed me quickly as Tur and his boys moved towards the door.  With the sound of splintering wood I turned to see the door partly ripped from its hinges.  Although it still technically blocked the entrance, it was cracked down the centre and was pitched at an odd angle.  They were still pulling it free from the frame as Aze charged in.

“Four on the stairs.” Aze turned and yelled as he disappeared into the dark space.

Scott had access to all my memories of this place so we followed with no hesitation.  I could feel the buzz between us as our Eyes Of Night illuminated the way. 

The creatures on the stairs stood frozen with their eyes wide and confused.  Then they literally sprang up and spun like a surprised cat before twisting mid-air and disappearing.   On Aze’s heels, we chased them down the stairs.  Aze caught the door at the base of the stairs, before it could slam shut, and charged in.

We almost collided with him as we followed.  He was standing still just inside the door.  We were in, inside the hive.  Aze waited.  His eyes circled the place as if he was admiring the view.  He looked relaxed and in control.  Then he smirked and at that moment I caught flashes of his true face.  Underneath all that beauty lay an Egregore, a fallen angel.  When he fell he must have passed through hell.   His true face showed much.  It was a mess.  The smirk on that face caused me to recoil slightly.  I turned away. 

Concentrate, Scott’s voice in my head was impatient. Don’t forget where you are!

I surveyed the scene.  The vampires we chased were making an inhuman noise as they ran towards the group which stood around Jari.

 Jari? 

He was chained to the same wall but he was far more damaged than Scott.  He was naked and his flesh had been completely savaged. Bites seemed to overlay bites and there was no flesh unscarred.  His arms were stretched out taking his weight and head lulled forward so that his black hair hung obscuring his face. 

This was worse than I expected.  He was worse than I expected.  I bit back a sob and tried to control the burning sensation in my eyes.

Jari!

I felt Scott’s fingers curl around mine as he took my hand.

He wasn’t responding.  He was clearly unconscious. 

Standing in front of him was a vampire holding a large glistening black cup.  It looked like it had been cut from obsidian.  The facets on its sides caught the light and momentarily flashed gold against the black.   It was clearly a ceremonial cup.

Were we too late?  Had they forced the blood into him already?  Was he infected?

The creature holding the cup turned to the commotion and cocked his head.  I was positive that I saw him smile but then it was gone.  His hideous face became a mask as he pulled himself up to stand tall and arrogant in contrast to those around him who shuffled and twitched as they spotted us at the door to the stairs.

“Focus Qaddis, we won’t know until we get him out of here.” Aze whispered as if reading my thoughts.  I quickly did a sweep of my head.  No Aze must have guessed what I was thinking.

Aze stepped forward, separating himself from our group which still huddled around the doorway.  He walked into the hive like he owned the place.  The vampires, other than the one holding the cup, crouched down and hissed at him.