Chapter 20 - Werefremds

CHAPTER 20 - Werefremds

I woke up with the knowledge that I wasn’t alone.This was almost expected now.  But why was Jari pacing the floor?  He was usually far more arrogant in the mornings.

“Go away,” I mumbled and rolled over.

“Sorry, I..., sorry I will go,”

“Scott wait, I thought you were... Ohh, damn,” I felt his emotions and knew that was the wrong thing to say, “Jari usually wakes me for the morning run, sorry.  What are you doing here Scott?”

“You,” he paused uncomfortably, “You dreamt a lot last night.”

“Ohh, sorry,” I blushed as I remembered some of my dreams.

He climbed into bed and held me to his chest, “I am not.”

We held each other silently as the daylight found us.  Then without any words he kissed me and left me to get dressed for school.

“No!  There is no way I am going to do that!” I heard Scott furious tone before I had even opened the door.  I walked out of the room to find Jari and Scott squaring off to each.

“You have no choice,” Jari said in a calm but firm voice.

“No!  Natalie did you know about this?” Scott whirled to me as I walked into the conflict.

“Scott, is struggling with the secrecy element of you new status,” Jari huffed.

“No, I am struggling with the fact that you want me to throw my races today,” Scott yelled in clear frustration, “I won’t do it. I won’t lose on purpose.”

“You have all the abilities of a Watcher so you can’t draw attention to yourself.  You also can’t use these abilities for personal gain.  That is wrong.  You have a higher function and must be set above everyone else.”

“Shut it with your sanctimonial crap Jari.  I will win without using all this... I will win using my own talents.  Just like before.” Scott turned to me, “Natalie, don’t make me do this.  I can’t do this.  It’s what I do.I can’t lose.”

“Can you still run without, well you know, running?  Because Jari is right we can’t use these abilities where they can be seen.  But if you can control it...” I couldn’t finish my words because Scott face lit up and Jari’s darkened considerably.

“The question is, Natalie, why does he want to win?Is it pride or something else?”

Scott scoffed, “It’s the one thing I do really well.It is who I am.I lose and everyone will start asking questions, they will blame our relationship.”

“Jari, Scott is right about that.  He has always been good at this if that suddenly changes then we will draw a lot of attention on us.  But can you do this Scott?”

“There is more to this than he is telling you Natalie,” Jari said quietly.

I looked at Scott who looked away, “The selectors will be at the Regionals.  If I want any hope of getting selected for a decent college team I need to impress the selectors.”

I looked at Jari who was looking at me with an expression that I couldn’t miss.  Ohh hell, Jari’s face told me everything I needed to know.  I looked back to Scott who was still talking about the various college football teams and his athletic prowess.

“We can discuss this later, Kids.It is time for school.” Jari’s eyes didn’t leave me and I knew that I would have to be the one to tell Scott.  But this was not the time or the place to do it.  Jari hurried us out the door.