Chapter 10 - The Change Room

CHAPTER 10 – The Change Room

I spent the rest of the day sitting on the bleachers, my hospital note ensuring that I did not participate in the events on the oval.  In desperation I made another valid attempt at seeking out the boys on my list.  Still nothing.  I stared at them.  I forced myself to image them in romantic settings and still nothing. 

I signed in defeat and again my eyes betrayed me.  Every time I wasn’t consciously keeping them focused my eyes stubbornly sought out Scott and each time I found him my heart reacted with an aching need that I really couldn’t explain.  Why did Jari have to be right? 

I also tried to work out how I was going to avoid Jari and his new mission.  Clothes shopping with Jari would be quite an experience – one that I didn’t know if I would survive.  I had never been clothes shopping with a man before and Jari... well surely that would be like clothes shopping with a Rambo-meets-Romeo mutation.

If Jari he was going to go after Kelly tonight, I should warn Scott.  Maybe I would ring him tonight so that it wasn’t a surprise for him tomorrow.  Or I could text him now.  I frowned as I tried to compose something – Hi Scott, Jari’s going to sleep with Kelly tonight – yeah, that would work!  Not!  No matter what way I phrased it I came across sounding stupid, immature and slightly desperate.  I decided that this was a problem for later, much later.

When the final bell rang I pushed myself off the bleachers and made a run for it.  Jari would have to get changed so if I was quick I might be able to avoid him.  I was almost out the main gate when I turned to find Jari at my shoulder.

“Ready?” his grin evil.

“No, we are not doing this!”   

“Ohh yes we are!” and with that he put his hand on my elbow and guided me to a Motorbike.  It was black and dangerous looking - one of those huge, sleek beasts that you see on the cover of Motorbike magazines. 

“I am not getting on that!”

“Live a little, girl!”

“I think you mean – die a horrible death wrapped around a pole, girl!”

“Nope!  Trust me if your number was up I would know about it.  You aren’t going to die today.”

“I’m still not getting on that!”

“Come on Natalie don’t be a wuss,” He smirked at me, “Just pretend I am Scott has you hug your body to mine!”

“Well that is a convincing argument!”

Jari actually laughed at my fury then he stood very close to me and whispered almost seductively, “Natalie, Scott is watching, get on the bike now and look like you are enjoying it. Be a good little Qaddis and do as I tell you or I will kiss you, OK?”

“But it’s not safe,” I implored.

“What my kisses or the bike?” he laughed as I rolled my eyes.  “Actually I have been told before that my kisses are very dangerous.”

“Yeah your lips are sort of like a public toilet,” I mumbled softly but Jari just laughed.

“You are hilarious, you know!  It’s alright, I know that you love me, insult me if it helps you deal with it.  Now this is for you, just because I care and I am not afraid to admit it,” he smiled smugly at me as he waved a black shiny helmet at me.  Ignoring my protests he pushed it down on my head and did up the strap. 

He then climbed on the bike and patted the seat behind him.  I couldn’t believe he actually thought I loved him.  No that was just another way of antagonising me.  As I fidgeted he watched me with a soft smile playing on his lips.  Ohh hell.  If I walked away now he would just haul me back.  I might as well save what little dignity I had left.  I climbed on behind him and tentatively held on to him by his shirt.  I blushed as he revved up the engine loud enough to catch the attention of the majority of the school.  Then when all eyes were turned in our direction he floored the accelerator and we flew out of the parking lot with my arms now wrapped tightly around him as I hung on for dear life.