Part 7

(Several months later)

"No." June says forcefully. I counter, "Why not?" "Because, it's just... No." "Wait, which issue are we even talking about?" I ask, staring into June's defiant eyes across the dinner table. "Both." She says, and I could swear the gold flecks in her eyes burn like the sun. Even now, I see the rebel within her. June looks at me, seeming frustrated but not truly angry. "Well, let's start with the first issue." I suggest. June nods practically. I throw a grin her way and she cracks a smile in return. June watches as I shift my chair around the table until I'm next to her. We put out heads together over the sprawling paper laid before us. It's the floor plan of a house we're considering buying. June grew up in an apartment. I've told her stories of my childhood, of romping through my backyard, hiding under the porch, or climbing the roof. She wants whatever family we raise to have those experiences (minus climbing the roof), and so do I. "So why not this house?" I inquire. June's delicate pink mouth twists upwards and she states, "Because, the room layout is all wrong. There's one room on the top floor and one on the bottom. If we have kids, then the baby will be upstairs or downstairs and we wouldn't be able to hear it or get to it." The word "baby" sounds foreign on June's lips. I realize at that moment that she probably hasn't had much experience with kids. After all, she was the youngest in her family. I grew up helping raise Eden, but she never had that chance. "I see your point." I tell June, because I do, and it's a good point. She pulls forth a second piece of paper from beneath the one we were looking at. "This one is okay, I'm just worried about the location. It's a rough part of town." Her cheeks flush a brilliant red at that moment, realizing her verbal misstep. June looks at me, seeming earnestly embarrassed. "I'm- uh- sorry, that was-" I take her minute hand in my own larger one. "June, it's fine. It's not your fault that I grew up in a poor sector and you grew up in a rich sector. I agree, I don't want any hypothetical future children we might have growing up around, well- um, me." June laughs nervously, like something I said bothered her. Then she smiles and seems more at ease. "Okay, but still, I'm sorry." I lean my face down towards June's until our breath mixes together. "You're forgiven." I whisper softly, and kiss her. June pulls away, smiling. "Now for the second issue." I groan. "Why can't I do it? It's just one mission. I'll be fine! It's not even a real mission. We're just scouting something- I don't even know what. Anden just wants me in on it so he can get some film, you know, show the people 'Day the Republic Patriot' or whatever." June's eyebrows furrow a bit. "Fine, I guess you can go. But, one condition." "What?" "I'm coming with you."