Chapter 22: We're Okay

"Josh…it was you? It was you that night?" Jade sobbed on his hand. 

Josh smiled. "No it wasn't me that night, but I was there."

"What!?" 

"I just happened to be walking-since my house isn't that far from the college after all-and noticed this pretty thing running to grab a piece of wet paper off of the ground. She said a couple of obscenities and then she walked away. I was going to follow after her to get her number, but then a couple of guys started to harass her so I left it alone," Josh said. "I was very happy to know that that someone was you and I got to know you anyway. Now, I'm going to take my hand off of your mouth, but don't scream or freak out. I really don't want to hurt you at all Jade, so please don't." 

All Jade could do was shake her head up and down in response. She finally blinked her eyes and the salt drops of water fell down her cheek. When Josh's hand left from around her mouth she let out a soft sob. Her hands clung to the fabric that was falling off her chest tightly like it was everything in the world to her. This couldn't be happening to her at all. It just couldn't.

"I'm sorry….um….I didn't mean to scare you. Is your back ok?" Josh asked extending his arm to touch her. Instead she tried to cuddle closer to the broken mirror. 

"Don't touch me psycho," Jade said angrily. "Why didn't you help me that day?"

Josh sat silently on the floor and lowered his head. "It wasn't any of my business, besides your knight in shining armor came to save you didn't he?" he asked coyly. Jade lifted her head just in time to catch his halfway smirk and it sickened her. "Come to think of it I thought your knight would always protect you. Where is he now?"

Jade clenched her teeth together from abruptly saying something mean to Josh.

Josh chuckled. "See that's why you should have picked me instead of him. Look who's here for you now."

"What!?" Jade scoffed. "You're the one who did this to me," she said referring to the tears that were drying up on her checks. 

"I didn't mean too…"

"Yea well you did Josh," Jade said, looking at him curiously when he shifted around. 

"Well you used me to get to Zach didn't you? So you deserved this. It's not nice to play with emotions," Josh said quietly. It was so quiet indeed that Jade was hardly able to hear what he said; but, when she did it made her feel really bad for the guy. Maybe, just maybe she was a bit unfair to Josh in the long run.

"I'm sorry Josh," Jade apologized. She had to say it or else her conscience would do nothing but eat away at her.

Josh sighed. "I just don't understand why you would pick your stepbrother instead of me. Do you know how bad that sounds?"

"Yes I do," Jade answered. "I know how bad it sounds, but I really care about Zach. It may sound twisted and dismal, but I can't help the feelings I have for him and Josh if you really care about me you would understand." 

"I guess I can understand. I just wished I could have made you happy," Josh said sincerely letting out a light laugh. 

Jade chuckled and tried to stand up. "Thanks for understanding Josh. You do however have someone now who cares about you," Jade smiled. With a bit of help from Josh she was able to stand up. Josh turned her around and slowly wiped off her back from the broken glass. Luckily for her none of the glass was imprinted in her skin.

"Who are you talking about?" Josh asked, after swiping at Jade's back. 

Jade gave him a sideways smirk. "Hmmm I don't know how about Olivia!"

"Well…I…she doesn't…" Josh blushed lightly. "I don't think she really cares about me."

"Damn Josh, don't be so bashful. That girl really likes you and believe me I should know," Jade laughed. "She's never been so serious about a guy before"

Josh smiled brightly and stuck his hands in his jean pants. "Really?"

"Really," Jade reassured him by patting him on the back. "Just make sure to treat her right."

"Thanks Jade, you're a really wonderful girl. I hope Zach can keep you happy," Josh said moving to the dressing room door. "I'm sorry for…"

Jade lifted her hand. "Let's just pretend that this never happened."

"Sure," Josh said and began to exit the room. "I'll see you later."

Once Josh had exited the dressing room Jade turned around and tried to pick up the pieces of glass when a knock stopped her. 

"Yes," Jade asked.

"It's me Zach, I give up. There's to many damn women out there and to many damn colors. I'm just an average man Jade not some kind of expert on feminine fashion expert."

Jade dropped the glass pieces that was in her hand and quickly opened the door. Before Zach even got to open his mouth to say anything, Jade lunged at him and held him in an embrace. He held her closely to his body and looked into the dressing room. The shimmer of the glass on the dressing room floor caught his eye suddenly and he became worried.

"What…"

"I love you," Jade said on his neck. She just wanted to be held by him and nothing more. 

Zach tightened his grip around the girl's small frame and decided not to ask any questions. "I love you too."

No questions were asked, nor were any questions answered that day. Jade had fun hanging out with Josh, Olivia and Zach, but she could feel the tension whenever she got around Josh. Of course this was what would be expected. Later, in the day after a few laughs at the arcade and an early dinner, the gang decided it would be better to go their separate ways. Jade had requested that Zach and her go for a walk once they got home. It was nice and quiet out and the air temperature was just right. The sun had gone down and the streetlights were on to give the sidewalk a reddish tint. 

"Come on," Jade whined while pulling on Zach's jacket. "Let's go for that walk."

"Baby, it's too cold out here," Zach answered her. Jade pulled him closer to her body and unzipped his jacket. Of course he protested, but then he stopped his crying with she enveloped herself in it with him. 

"Better?" Jade asked with a smile. 

Zach smiled. "Very much, but I don't think that we can walk like this."

"Then let's stay like this for a minute" Jade pleaded and placed her head on Zach's chest. "Just let me stay like this for one…more…minute."

Zach looked down at the girl before him and smiled. He held her close and gave her a forehead kiss. 

"Sure baby. Sure."