Chapter 15: Meet the dysfunctionals

Jade tried to hide her red face from her grandparents, but she looked down at her hands to notice them turn red too. Oh hell, she looked like a beet! Jade slipped out of Zach's grasp, a little wobbly on the knees at first, and then climbed out of the pool.

"My you've grown since the wedding," the elderly woman said. 

"I am so, so, so, so sorry about all this Grams!" Jade explained. She walked over to her lounge chair, grabbing her towel to dry herself off. "IfyoujustletmeexplainthistoyouIcan…" 

"Oh, hello deary and what's your name? Grams asked Zach, as he got out of the pool.

Zach smiled and extended his hand. "My name's Zach!"

"Zach? That's a familiar name," Grams said. She turned to her husband slowly and tapped him on the shoulder. "Henry, don't we know something about a boy named Zach…I say HENRY!" she yelled.

Henry placed his hand behind his left ear. "Huh!"

"I SAY HENRY DON'T WE KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT A BOY NAMED ZACH!?"

"Zach…who is this Zach?"

"THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO KNOW HENRY!"

Henry finally noticed Zach and smiled. "Kimberly! Who is this strapping young man here?"

"My name's Zach!" Zach said a bit annoyed. 

"Zach!" Henry said and looked over at his wife. "Don't we know something about a boy named Zach?"

"THAT'S WHAT I SAID HENRY!"

"You have to learn to speak up dear," Henry told Kimberly. 

Jade rubbed her eyes and watched the elderly couple yell at one another. "Here," she said, throwing Zach his towel. 

"These are your grandparents?" Zach asked, watching the elderly couple with Jade.

Jade sighed. "Yep! Guess who side of the family they came from?"

"Mothers?"

"And you just won a million dollars!" Jade laughed. "Here's the 411 on those two. Pops or Henry, he's hard of hearing and wear's a hearing aid, except he forgets to put it in…all the time! And Grams or Kimberly, she's a total neat freak and…controlling!"

"How did you turn out to be so normal is beyond me!" Zach laughed.

Jade grabbed Zach's free hand. "Come on!" she said pulling him to the kitchen sliding doors. 

"What!? But, what about…" Zach stated, pointing at Jade's grandparents. "Them!"

Jade slid open the glass doors and walked in. "Grams is going to notice that Pops doesn't have his hearing aid in, and then when they do find it they're going to make-up and forget everything that happened before the so-called 'argument'!" 

"That definitely clears up our way of telling them what was going on in the pool," Zach laughed. "By the way, why do you call them Grams and Pops?"

Jade scoffed, closing the sliding doors behind Zach. "Because I grew up calling them that! Why?"

"That's odd someone would call their grandparents something like that," Zach stated. Jade leaned against the wall next to the sliding doors and crossed her arms. "Most people call grandparents…oh I don't know! Grandma or Grandpa!"

"Are you making fun of me!?" Jade asked angrily. She furrowed her eyebrows when Zach had the nerve to laugh.

"Listen to you! Are you always this defensive?" Zach asked softly. Extending his, right, hand and cupped Jade's cheek.