Chapter 6:What a Yummy Mess

So spaghetti and my famous meatballs it is," Jade was heard saying as she opened, the townhouse, door. Josh followed behind her and closed the door behind him.

"Why are they called your famous meatballs? They aren't famous because they've left a long line of dead people behind are they?" Josh playfully raised his eyebrows.

Jade turned around and shook her head. "No! They're famous because every year when the whole family gets together, they're gone in a minute. That's why, every year, I have to make twice as much as I made the last."

"Wow, now I really can't wait to taste them." Jade turned back around and opened the refrigerator taking out supplies she would need to use. She hated to brag, but she had to admit she was an excellent cook. Everything she made had a piece of her heart in every bite…but not literally! 

"Just promise not to get hooked on my home cooking," Jade said eyeing Josh. She grabbed a pot and some other things from under the sink, and then stood up.

"I can't promise that, but I can promise that I will be coming over for more of your cooking, if I like it!" Josh said squeezing into the chair by the kitchen table.

"Good, maybe I could come over to your place and cook for you. Excuse me for a minute, I have to change," Jade said dusting her hands. 

"What's wrong with what you're wearing?"

Jade posed in the living room, placing her hand on her hip. "This is not something one usually wears when cooking." With that said, Jade, began to walk upstairs. Humming a merrily tune in her head she walked past Zach's door. After, she finished changing into something more comfortable she walked past Zach's door again. Curiosity, got the best of her when she looked in, noticing his room was completely dark. That was weird especially considering, it was probably around seven! She pressed her hand to the door and pushed it open.

A cold breeze, whipped on her face and she saw that his fan was turned on. She walked in slowly, looking towards his bed. Was he sleeping? She jumped when she heard a rustle and saw something move on his bed. Taking another step, her foot brushed something soft on the floor. Looking down she picked it up, it was his shirt! He's not sleeping without his shirt on is he?

"I knew this was a bad idea, but do I listen…no!" Jade told herself. Turning around she tiptoed back out of his room, but stopped. Did she hear him right?

"Jade," Zach mumbled in his sleep. Hearing him turn over again she sighed and closed the door softly. 

"Was he just calling my name?" She furiously shook her head and let out an exhausted sigh. What was he doing sleeping so early anyway? What about his story? A clutter downstairs made her eyes bulge. She ran down the steps and looked toward the kitchen. Jade scoffed at the sight of Josh stirring something in the pot she placed out. 

He turned around with a mischievous smile on his face. "I thought I could start dinner for you."

"You're a very funny guy, but you must remove yourself from the kitchen," Jade said walking towards him. She looked inside the pot at the sauce he was stirring.

"It's very good," Josh said to her over her shoulder. "See, I can cook too! It may not be a chef's masterpiece, but it's something." 

Jade dipped her finger in the sauce and tasted it. It was pretty good she had to admit, but she still had to make her meatballs and add the noodles.

"Sit down and let a real cook show you how this is done," Jade teased pushing him away from her. 

And cook she did! Jade didn't have time to talk once she got started, but she listened to Josh talk. He told her of the rough times when he became manager of Barnes and Nobles. He also spoke of his father, a great man, as he always placed it, but she was more interested in how he got started. 

"See, when I first started out as manager, I really thought I was going to mess up. I was only 20 when I took over, so I was still just a beginner at learning business and all that. My father told me that I had it in me to be a business man, but I needed a start. I thought he was trying to mold me into what he wanted me to be, but later on when he pushed me into the job I enjoyed it. I did a pretty good job while I was under his wing, or so he said! So, later down the line he made me manager of the store."

"How did that make you feel?" Jade asked. She took off her oven mitts, which she used to take the meatballs out of the oven, placing them on the kitchen table. The bread, spaghetti and the meatballs were all done, but all she had to do was add the sauce.

"It scared the hell out of me! He wasn't going to be there to help me anymore," he said. "But, once I got started with it, it was a piece of cake."

"Ha! I wish I could find my calling in life just like that," Jade said sighing.

"What do you want to major in?" Josh asked curiously. 

Jade smiled and went back to the sauce for her spaghetti and meatballs. She mixed in the sauce with the spaghetti and then added in the meatballs.

"She wants to major in culinary, but she doesn't think she's so good," Zach said coming from upstairs. Jade almost dropped the pot, when she heard Zach's voice. She smiled at him weakly when she turned around. She couldn't see him so good, since he was standing in the shadows below the stairs. Then slowly he came out into the light. Dammit, he wasn't wearing a shirt! "I try to tell her she needs to go after it, but she won't listen to me." Zach stretched and yawned, flopping down on the couch. 

"I thought you were sleeping?" Jade asked him. She turned the stove off and placed the pot on the table, where Josh was sitting. She turned back around to get the plates and utensils, so she wouldn't have to look at Zach.

"I was, but I heard voices downstairs and I became curious. How was the museum?" Zach asked Josh.

"It was rather interesting," Josh responded looking at Jade. 

Rolling her eyes she let the plates fall on the table. "Now, hopefully your curiosity is fulfilled, so you can go back upstairs," Jade said harshly. Zach looked at her his eyebrows furrowed.

"No!" he said. "I'm hungry and I think there's enough for us all. Josh won't mind will you man?" Zach asked. Josh shrugged his shoulders and Zach walked over to the kitchen table and sat down. Jade tried not to look at Zach's chest, but she couldn't help to take a quick glance. Damn, didn't he know that with a smooth chest like that, you can't just walk around like that and not look sexy!

"Ok, now that I know you're going to stay, would you like me to get the parmesan cheese for you?" Jade asked Zach, as politely as possible. Why was she getting so upset at him anyway? Maybe because it seemed as though he was taunting her, with his body on purpose, that's why!

"That's ok; I never savored her famous meatballs before. But, Sarah always told me you made the best," Zach smoothly said.

"I can't wait to taste them either as much as she bragged about them!" Josh chimed in. 

Jade smiled shyly and looked back at the un-amused Zach. "Umm what would you boys like to drink?" 

"Water with ice is ok with me," Zach responded.

"Same here and I would like some of that parmesan cheese," Josh added. Jade grabbed two glasses and an ice tray. She opened the refrigerator and grabbed the water pitcher, grabbing the cheese while she was at it. 

"Here you guys go…let me just get the bread and dinner will be served," Jade said. She opened the oven, pulling out the bread, turning around to catch Zach downing a glass of water, his adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed. Jade was lost in a fictional daze and was happy when Josh cleared his throat. She looked at him take a sip of his water. Pay attention to him! Jade placed the bread on a plate and walked back to the table. "Who wants some first?" Jade asked talking about the spaghetti and meatballs.

"I would…I am famished," Josh said. Jade picked the pot up and was about to serve him…when it happened! Zach's body stretched backwards on his chair, yawning, while Jade's own betrayed her. Especially, to mention her arms and hands! In one quick glace her hands let go of the pot and it went hurdling to the table, bouncing Zach's way! 

Jade's hands flew up to her mouth in pure shock. "Oh my god I am so sorry!" she apologetically told Zach, when all the contents from the pot spilled on his chest and lap, making a sickly plop to the floor. He flung his arms in the air and let out an angry growl. Jade pushed his shoulders down when he tried to stand up. "Don't get up, most of it spilled on you, don't make more of a mess."

"Me? Make more of a mess? You're the one who spilled the shit on me!" Zach yelled at her. 

"I think I should go," Josh said, standing up. 

"Oh Josh, I am so sorry about all this…"Jade said.

"What about me?" Zach interrupted, looking up at her. Josh laughed and walked toward the door. 

"I said I was sorry Zach!" Jade said. She threw a warm cloth at Zach so he could clean up a little. She quickly walked to the door, where Josh was about to leave out. 

"So, I guess you owe me a dinner, but right now I think you're in enough trouble," Josh teased her, looking Zach's way. Jade held the door open and looked at Zach wipe at his chest. 

"Yea, well he'll live, thank god it wasn't hot," Jade joked. "I wouldn't want to scald the poor baby," she yelled, so Zach could hear her. After hearing him groan she smiled.

"I enjoyed what we had today anyway," Josh whispered in her ear. She giggled and looked Zach's way, happy he wasn't watching. "I hope we get to spend more days like this together. Except, for when the food was being spilled."

"We will…" Jade seductively said licking her bottom and top lip, looking into his eyes.

Josh's eyebrows raised and looked down at her. "Really?"

"Of course, silly have you forgotten about work?" Jade laughed out.

"Can't you be serious for one minute?" Josh asked a smile across his lips.

"I can, but I chose not to be." Josh held her eyes in his for a second and laugh quietly.

"That's another…"

"Another what?" Jade asked.

"Another reason why you're so different from most women," Josh told her. Jade hid her smile by looking down at the floor. When she looked back up Josh was leaning into her, his lips going straight for hers. 

Taking a step back, the moment he was very close to her face, she crossed her arms. "What do you think your doing?"

Josh leaned back up and looked over her curiously. Jade's lips were pursed, but she had a smile on her face. "I'm not doing anything, except saying goodbye," Josh said.

"Goodbye Josh, see you later," Jade told him as headed to his car. She waved back at him as he drove off. "What the hell was I thinking?" Jade banged her head on the door. She should have kissed him, but she just couldn't. Why did the thought of kissing Josh not seem so enjoyable? Her plan was going straight down toilet all because she had her mind on someone else. Not, just anyone mind you, but on her stepbrother!? All she needed to do was give Josh one kiss and…hopefully the perverted thoughts of Zach would leave her mind forever!