Chapter 26

Katherine's POV

"What the hell do you mean I can't get in?" I asked in disbelief while the security guard of the hospital that barred me. He was a tall muscular guy with a serious and stern face.

"I'm sorry ma'am but visiting time is over. You can come back tomorrow between 10am and 5pm." He said seemingly bored and ready to go home. I bit my lip.

"You don't understand, I just found out what happened to her. I need to see her." I said emphasizing the word "need".

"I'm sorry ma'am, hospital rules. I can't let you in. Only family members are allowed after visiting hours." He said again. He was starting to piss me off.

"Bullshit. I have to go in. I'm her fucking girlfriend for God's sake." I said slightly desperate. Did I just say girlfriend? Oh fuck it. Right now I didn't have time to think about that.

"Unless you are married to her you can't be considered as family." He rolled his eyes. I looked down, how the hell I was going to get in?

I looked around looking for a way to get into the room area. There had to be a way.

"I'll come back tomorrow then. I'm sorry for the importune." I said with the sweetest voice I could and added.

"Can I at least ask for the direction to the bathroom?"

"Sure, just go down that hallway until the end and turn right. You'll find the ladies bathroom there."

"Thank you." I said turning back. Of course he saw right through my façade but he wasn't really giving a crap. His shift was probably at the end and if I did get in it wasn't through him.

I followed the path he had told me to. I asked a random nurse for the direction to the ER. I walked fast until I got there. And as I hoped there was chaos and disorganization all around. I looked around searching for an elevator. I found one at the end of a crowded hall. Even better.

I ran to it and got in at the last minute before it closed. The elevator was full to its limit. I blended easily. And as I hoped one of the nurse was going to the room wing.

As she got out of the elevator a followed her up close before the door closed. There were dozens of rooms all around me and I had to figure out in which one Amy was in.

I found an information desk. Good, now that I was in no one would question how I got there. I walked up to the desk and asked politely.

"I'm sorry. I am kind of lost here. I left my sister's room to go to the bathroom and now I have no idea how to go back. Her name is Amy Addams." The lady behind the desk smiled and gave me the directions to her room. Politeness really could get you places if you knew how to use it.

As I got closer to her room my legs started getting weaker. I was afraid of what I would find, even though I already knew. My fear was that seeing how she was it would make me crumble down. Getting up here had taken most of my thoughts but now everything was coming back. Amy was in a coma, she was hurt and I couldn't do anything about it.

Finally I got in front of the door to her room. I breathed heavily before going in. and at that moment I could hold back my tears anymore. Why? Why her? Why couldn't it have happened with somebody else?

I got closer, taking her every detail in. Her soft white skin was covered in bruises and a breathing aid covered most of her face. I touched her hand gently.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner. I didn't know what had happened to you. I wish I had been here for you since you got here..." I started but by then the tears were flowing and I was breathing in short heavy breaths. I could only sit down on the chair beside her bedside and look at her.

She was so beautiful. Even with all the bruises and scratches. She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. Right now the bet had completely slipped my mind. It didn't matter anymore. All I wanted was for her to wake up. I wanted to see her smile again, kiss her lips and caress her skin.

And then it hit me. I had fallen for her.

Diana's POV

I walked down the hallways from the hospital. I looked down at my clipboard. I had already checked on all my patients that night. Well, all except one, Amy. I always visited her last. Then I could spend more time there. Why do you ask? Well, I had no idea. Being near her made me feel good. Even though she was in a coma.

I always liked to imagine that she was sleeping. It made me feel better. I had the habit of staying in her room until my working hours were over. Somehow I always had hope that she would wake up and I'd be there for her. It killed me that I was so intrigued and interested in her, not because it was unprofessional to be so emotionally attached to a patient, but because of Amber.

We had been together since high school. We went through so much together. We both came out at the same time, overcame prejudice and learned how to live in our own feet.

It's sad to think that our relationship was going downhill for quite some time now. She was overly jealous and everything was a reason for her to be suspicious of me. She had to know where I was and with who I was all the time. It saddened me that she didn't trust me. I had never and would never cheat on her. After all, I did love her. But she was driving me away. For quite some time now.

Maybe that was the reason that I was so interested in Amy. Which was crazy. She was my patient, more than 10 years younger than me and more important of all, I had a girlfriend. I had never been interested in anyone but Amber. But right now the thought of Amy was filling my head.

I was trapped in my own thoughts as I entered her room. As usually I went straight to check her vitals. Everything seemed to be in order. I smiled as I looked at her, but then something caught my eye. There was someone else there. A young girl, probably Amy's age, she was beautiful, blonde hair and light blue eyes. I could see that her face was stained with tears.

"I haven't seen you here before." I said looking at her. She looked back at me and cocked her head to the side.

"And you are?" She asked.

"My name is Diana Abbot. I am Amy's doctor. I should be the one asking who you are though. Visiting hours have ended long ago." I replied. She smirked.

"What are you going to kick me out? Better call security because I'm not leaving." I didn't like her already.

"You never answered my question." I said. She was not longer looking at me, her eyes were facing Amy.

"You didn't really ask anything." She said still not looking at me. I rolled my eyes.

"Who are you?" She looked at me briefly before answering.

Katherine's POV

"Who are you?" She asked and I looked back at her before answering.

"Me? I'm her girlfriend." I said looking into her eyes.

I know I was being impolite and rude but I didn't care. I saw the way she looked at Amy when she got in. She was into her, I could see by her smile and the way she looked at her.

Seeing her looking at Amy like that lit a fire inside me. I have never been jealous before, but with her, with her it was different.

Amy was my girlfriend. Well, not officially but that didn't mean I would let anyone take her from me.

The doctor looked at me in disbelief. I guess she wasn't expecting that. She quickly recomposed herself though.

"Girlfriend? Well, very considered of you to visit your girlfriend one week after her accident." She said and that got on my nerves.

"I'm sorry doctor, I don't think this is any of your business." I said back with venom. She didn't seem affected by it.

"Yeah, you're right is not. I'm sure you had more important things to do." She said sarcastically. I forced myself not to get up and slap her. She had no idea who she was playing with. I would end her.