Chapter 14

Amy's POV

I got myself ready for school in record time. My dad hadn't come home at all last night. It's sad to say that I didn't give a shit, but it was the truth. How fucked up was that? A daughter that didn't care if her father got home or not. I guess things aren't always perfect.
Well, in my case, they're never perfect. I shook my head trying to forget about my problems at home and got out of the house.

As walked towards school I started to think about the same girl who wouldn't leave my head for anything in the world. Sadly all I could think about at this moment was how I was going to be able to avoid her.

After much thought I had decided that I couldn't, shouldn't accept Katherine's proposal. Although part of me wanted to, undeniably, I knew I couldn't. It was too risky, I knew I would end up getting hurt. I was already broken enough, I didn't want to be a experimental toy for some rich girl.

I was walking with my head down without looking ahead. I heard the annoying sound of someone honking their car. I continued walking ignoring the sound that was getting nearer and nearer. When I heard the honk of the car going off right beside me I jumped in fright. I quickly looked up to see a laughing Manuel. My hand went up to my chest that was heaving up and down.

"Do you want to give me a heart attack?" I screamed with my heart racing wild.

"Oh come on, that was pretty funny!" He said back trying to contain his fit of laughter.

"It wasn't funny! And what the hell are you doing here?" I asked surprised by his sudden arrival.

"Public school is closed for today. Teachers are doing a protest demanding higher pay. So, no classes for me." He said happily.

"And you are here because?" I asked and he smiled brightly.

"To give you a ride of course! I don't like you walking so far to school." He said with a frown and I smiled. He's a great friend. I was lucky to have him.

"What are you waiting for? Hop in!" He said and I did what he said.

"Thanks!" I said getting in. He then started the car while saying.

"No problem kid." I rolled my eyes.

"You're two months older than me!" He laughed.

"Still older." I chuckled. We then started to talk about random stuff while we drove.

It was amazing how Manuel could always make me forget about my problems. At least for a while.

"So how's your back?" He asked suddenly. Spoke too soon.

"Getting better." I said and he sighed.

"I hate that you have to go through this." I exhaled loudly.

"Me too. It's only one more year though." I said trying to cheer him up.

"You don't get it Amy! One of these times he won't control himself. You can end up in a ditch!" He shouted exasperatedly.

"We talked about this, I have everything under control okay?"

"The marks on your entire body say otherwise." He argues and I sighed.

"Look, I don't want to talk about this. I already have too much on my mind." I closed my eyes, feeling tired.

"I just want the best for you." He said lowly and I smiled faintly.

"I know you do, and you're a great friend. But I can take care of myself." I said and he nodded.

"Just... Be careful ok?" He said. I realized that we were already parked in front of my school. I kissed him on the cheek before exiting the car.