Chapter 18 - Meet My Mom's

Storm and I got out of my car and walked up to the house I grew up in. It was a quaint, two story home painted a light blue with windows covering the front. The lawn was trimmed and a bright green mixed, a few dying flowers littered the garden as the fall season was fast approaching, birds were flying around the bird feeder, stocking up before the cold winter months.

"Damn. Jade is getting that yard work done!" Storm whistles, looking around at the yard.

I smile and nod, despite the cold bringing death to some of the garden life, it was still beautiful. Jade made sure her garden looked glorious in all seasons. "She always had a knack for it, you should see it when it's summer. She brings out the fountains, it seems she already put them away for the season." As we pass by a Japanese Maple tree, I lightly run my glove covered hands over the remaining leaves, a few falling off. It wasn't as cold as yesterday, but the temperature is definitely dropping by the day. It's the wonderful time of summer transitioning into fall and it's beautiful. Fall is my favorite time of the year because of jackets and spiced everything.

We get up to the dark wood door and I knock a couple times.

"Coming!" I hear a muffled voice from the inside.

"Twenty bucks it's Jade." Storm tells me, hitting my shoulder lightly.

I shake my head. "It's Iris."

"You're on, bitch."

I grew up with these women, but so did Storm. Both my mothers have kind of the similar voice, so we always bet who's going to answer the door.

The door opens and there stands the dark haired beauty that is Iris. I look over at Storm with a smug look and she just punches my shoulder for real and pouts.

"Ow, bitch." I hiss, holding my arm.

"Sorren, did I just hear you curse?!" Iris asks, shocked.

My eyes land on her brown ones and I give her a lazy smile. "Yeah. Storm moved back into my place, so you know how that goes."

"Watch your mouth, missy." She wags her finger at me and I can't help but laugh.

"Sorry, Iris." I say, wrapping my arms around her shoulders.

"And what did I tell you about calling me by my name? Honey, you've been in this family since you were three. Call me mom or get off my property." She says it seriously, but I know she's only joking. Iris has a very strange sense of humor. She doesn't sound like she's kidding at all, but she means it in the most innocent way. I learned about her humor as I got older, took me a while to understand it. After countless nights of crying because I thought she didn't like me, I had to learn to fully understand her.

And I was adopted, yes. I never knew my real biological family, never really wanted to. Iris and Jade told me I've been in the orphanage my whole life. Something about my real mom was too young to take care of me or some shit. I never wanted to look for her, I got double the moms and they're awesome.

"I only call you Iris because Jade might get jealous that I'm calling you mom so then I'll have to call her mom and then when I say mom you both answer and it will all just be a mess." I ramble, getting my point across. Storm just rolls her eyes next to me and crosses her arms.

Iris narrows her eyes at me. "You get away with that. Come in, kids. It's nippy out there! Your nipples must be rocks!" She moves out of the way of the door and let's us into the hallway.  I roll my eyes at her language now and enter the house with Storm behind me.

"Jade get up. The kids are here!" Iris yells up the stairs.

"Woman, I just got home. I want a nap!" Jade yells back.