Chapter Nineteen

Today she was going to have to confront a Dalek.

Strange. Amelia had rarely ever woken up and knew what creatures she would encounter, but today she knew and for once she was scared, she’d have to do it alone without any help, without support from the kind caring nurse that had stolen her heart, or the alien that had entered her world and helped it make sense. No Amelia was going to be alone and it scared her to death.

She had barely been able to sleep, once her frustration from Arthur’s comment had subsided she was left with dread, today was not an adventure for  her, it seemed like a dark reality and a for once she was dreading this party.

The weather outside seemed to contrast her mood, it was a perfect day for a ball, bright sunny and warm outside. It was happy and cheerful weather that meant that the residents of Camelot were up early, children playing along the cobbled path in front of the castle, it seemed too cheerful and she had no inclination to feel that way today.

There was a knock at the door before it shortly opened afterwards, Gwen stood to its side, a sad smile playing on her face. “I’m here to help you prepare.”

This took Amy by surprise the meal was not until the evening and here Gwen was helping her get dressed, she was holding a pail of water as there was another knock at the door. Gwen opened it to show the knights carrying water in for her to bath. They all smiled sadly and left apart from Sir Percival and Gwen. The knight approached her cautiously and weighted her up looking hesitant before reaching out and wrapping his arms around Amelia in a tight embrace. “We want you to relax, I’ll send another maid down with your dress, Uther chose it especially as it seemed to, as I quote ‘Call to him’ which trust me is unlike the king, everyone is on edge.”

“Just relax Percival, It’s all going to be okay.” The knight nodded and left her chambers, although she knew he would not believe her she could barely believe herself.

Amy stripped of her clothes and stepped into the medieval bathtub, Gwen tipped a liquid from a vial into the water and it scented the steam. Amy looked at her questioning the substance. “A calming substance, Gaius sent it along with his best wishes.” She nodded, others understood it was dangerous, she had reacted enough to her realisation for them to be able to sense it.

After lying for a while allowed to think whilst Gwen cleaned she got up and dried off as the door was knocked, another maid whom Amy had seen but not been introduced to was there holding a dress, they helped her put it on, with as much struggle as the green dress she had worn when facing the Slitheen, but eventually it was on they started to brush her hair and the other maid produced a powder applying it to Amy’s face how she did with make-up, she closed her eyes and focused on her breathing, she’d be okay, it would be alright.

There was another knock at the door, although she was curious to whom was at the door she could not here voices and when she questioned Gwen she received the answer of “Shoes.” Quite quickly as though that was not all but she would not disclose any more. “We’ve only just gotten to know each other Amy, I really like your friendship.”

Amy sighed as she felt the last parts of her hair being pinned up and shoes being slide onto her feet, “If all goes well Guinevere, you will still have my friendship to cherish.”

“I hope so Miss Amelia, I hope so.”

The other lady interrupted the silence elapsing between the pair, “You are all done my Lady.”

She stood up and opened her eyes looking in the mirror. She gasped the mystery deliver was flowers, different varieties of flowers all white and blue they had been woven into her hair and matched the dress beautifully, she stared at herself, the dress was the colour of the Tardis.