EIGHT

★★★★★

EIGHT; PROMISES & ATTACKS

     BLAIRE RESTED her head on the couch, a warm cup of hot chocolate in her hands. It was usually cold in La Push, but tonight it was particularly windy. She had turned on the heater to warm up her and her sister.

     Dahlia sat at the opposite end of their couch, her eyes wide and hands shaking. There were no words spoken between the siblings for twenty minutes, but neither minded the silence. It was comforting from the information they received hours ago. Blaire knew she would have to attend school sometime this week. She couldn't miss that many days without an explanation. She wouldn't leave her sister alone, though, during the biggest crisis of her life.

     "It's okay to be scared," Blaire spoke. Dahlia didn't respond, staring at her palms. "I was frightened when Embry revealed it to me."

     "The difference between our situations is that I actually turned into a giant wolf," Dahlia hissed through her teeth. She couldn't help but be bitter towards her father and sister. They kept the secret from her.

     "You don't think I struggled? I can still phase anytime, Dahlia," Blaire said with conviction. It was the voice she had spoken in when she was twelve and had to watch over Dahlia while her father was at work. "Look, I don't want you to push me away. No matter what happens today or in the future, we're still sisters."

     "I'm the only girl in that pack, B," Goosebumps rose on Dahlia's arms. "And I hate my alpha. I despise that I have to listen to whatever Sam commands. Do you know how that feels?"

     "No," Blaire sighed. "I don't. I might not understand but our father does. He was a shapeshifter as well."

     Dahlia shook her head rapidly. Tremor laced in her voice, she clenched her fists. "I won't speak with him. He hasn't attempted any form of a relationship with us before, so why should we start now?"

     "Mom was his imprint, Dahlia. The love of his life, his soulmate. Can you imagine how her death impacted him? He was left with the memory of her and two daughters he had to take care of. Embry told me that when you lose your imprint, it's like you've lost your own self."

     Blaire shuddered at the thought of losing Embry. The boy was just upstairs, sleeping in her bedroom. She persisted that he stay over because of the lack of sleep he was getting. It was worrisome, especially when she saw the dark circles beneath his eyes. The bond between them was stronger than ever and Blaire was relieved that he would always be by her side.

     "I can't believe this is happening to me. I can never have a normal life again." Realization glossed over her features and Blaire felt remorse for being so uncompassionate. She was thrown into this world too, but she wouldn't phase into a furball when she got angry.

     "Dahlia, everyone's here for you. We're all pitching in to help. The guys may be boys, but you can still converse with them. Embry's always here."

     Dahlia's mind lingered on the thought of imprinting. It had made sense why Blaire betrayed her and Leah for Embry. The look in both of their eyes made it obvious that they were madly in love. She wondered what that was like. The only situation where she got even remotely close to love is at the homecoming dance. Wesley Adams had his sweaty palms wrapped around her waist, a stellar grin easing her nerves. Nothing about that night felt correct.

     "Can you promise me something?" Dahlia questioned timidly. It was so selfish of her to even suggest such a thing, but she couldn't help it. She felt like her sister was the only one keeping her stable.