THREE

★★★★★

THREE; SECRECY

     BLAIRE HAD BEEN moping around ever since she got back home. Perhaps she was overreacting, but the thought of Embry not talking to her anymore didn't sit well in her stomach.

     "What's wrong with you, B?" Dahlia asked, leaning on her sister's doorframe. She caught a ride with Leah and was about to demand to know why Blaire didn't take her home, but seeing her distraught sister made her heart break. Blaire was biting at her nails subconsciously, looking stressed and worn out. Blankets were pulled up to her chest as her mind racked with endless possibilities.

     "Nothing," she waved off. "Don't worry about me."

     The freshman girl sighed and walked inside, shutting the door behind her. She approached the bed and sat down, her eyebrows raised.

     "B, you can't lie to me. We're sisters." She placed a comforting hand on Blaire's knee. "Is it Embry? Is that why you ditched today?" Dahlia knew about the recent conflicts with Embry Call. The two were like a horrible romance movie that Dahlia wanted to fast forward.

     "Sam wants him."

     Those three words made Dahlia grow stiff. She hated Sam as much as Leah, maybe even more so. She especially despised Jared and Paul for joining his ranks.

     "Embry wouldn't. He's a good kid."

     Blaire stared at the cream colored walls of her bedroom, lined with pictures of her and her friends. It was mostly her with Kim, Embry, and Dahlia, but Blaire treasured them all very much. She felt as if her eyes were permanently glued to the ones of her and Embry.

     "Sam only gets the bad ones, like Lahote."

     Blaire shook her head. "I don't know. What if Embry does it? Will he shut me out?" Dahlia shook her head. Embry and Blaire were like two peas in a pod, and Embry would rather do anything else than be separated from her. It was cute and horrifying at the same time.

     "No, B, of course not. He's had a crush on you for as long as I can remember. He would never do such a thing."

     Time ticked on and the younger sibling had to leave, but Blaire's doubts were still present. She texted Embry an abundant amount of times and he never responded. She decided to call Quil to see if he got any updates.

     "Hey, Blaire. You're calling about Embry, aren't you?" She fiddled with the string of her pajama pants. The framed photo of her and Embry on her desk was making her feel more anxious.

     "Yeah. Have you heard anything?"

     There was a long pause and some shuffling around. "I saw him with Sam this afternoon. I'm sorry, Blaire." Her heart sunk to the bottom of her stomach.

     "No. Did he-"

     "He cut his hair and had the tribal tattoo on his arm. It's safe to say he's become one of them." Blaire felt tears building up in her eyes. Quil's words triggered something inside of her. Kim was barely around because of Jared and now, she lost Embry too. "Oh, Blaire, please don't tell me you're crying. I have no clue what to do when girls cry. Do you want me to call Jake? He's way better at this than I am."