TWO

★★★★★

TWO; AN INTRODUCTION

     "DON'T BE nervous," Kim smiled, nudging her best friend. Blaire's eyes narrowed as she spotted Paul and Jared, reclining in the cafeteria seats. They were speaking about something serious, hence Paul's furrowed brows and Jared's clenched fists. Oddly enough, they ceased the conversation every few seconds to glance up at her, even when she was still standing across the cafeteria.

     Blaire felt a shiver run up her spine.

     Kim hardly noticed her friend's reluctance to meet the two strangers. She felt like she had been chasing Jared Cameron for years, and as a duty of one's best friend, Blaire should share her joyous attitude.

     The raven-haired girls approached the table. It was the only table that had vacant seats, since it was pushed back to the corner of the room. Paul and Jared had a knack for making their appearance seem scarier than it actually was.

     "Paul, this is Blaire," Kim introduced, taking her seat besides Jared. Blaire felt as if her name was already engraved on the plastic chair.

     Paul smirked at her presence, obviously delighted at the sight of the older Thompsen. Jared threw him a side glance, which didn't go unnoticed by either party. Blaire, out of habit, gazed at Embry's table. The three boys were already observing the situation with their hollow stares.

     "Blaire Thompsen. Never thought I would have the privilege to get to know someone like you."

     Blaire raised one eyebrow. She was only joining them for lunch, not marrying him in the school's atrium.

     Paul understood his reputation in La Push. He was labeled as a womanizer and a drug user. He did enjoy the presence of a female friend, but he couldn't form a bond with them. As Sam says, you can't let an attachment get to you. He had already been through that once with Leah.

     "Finally come to your senses? I can take you out tomorrow," Paul smirked, playing the role that La Push made for him.

     She could feel Embry's anger from here. He was only a few tables away, but not completely out of earshot. "Dream on, Lahote."

     Quil and Jake started to pucker their lips and sing songs about Blaire and Embry, which earned them a rightful punch in the shoulder. Paul noticed Blaire's longing gaze towards the table. He snickered. Many people told him about Embry's crush, but they were too dull to see Blaire's.

     "He's still pining after you, huh?"

     Blaire's expression hardened. "Why do you care?" She hadn't touched her lunch.

     "Blaire," Jared interrupted. He shot Paul a warning glance, telling him to watch himself. Blaire might become one of their pack members soon. "Would you like to join Kim after school? She's riding with me to a friend's house."

     Blaire felt goosebumps rise on her arms. They were speaking about Sam Uley.

     "No," she declined, remembering Leah. As her sister's best friend, she felt like it was her duty to cut off any communication with Leah's ex. "I'm hanging out with Embry after school."