FIVE

★★★★★

FIVE; SHAPESHIFTERS

     "YOU STILL HAVEN'T told me where we're going," Blaire mumbled, staring out the window. Her father sighed, turning up the volume of the radio.

     She was still hung up on the conversation she had with Embry a few hours earlier. After their intense staring contest, he darted out of his house, muttering that he had to go see Sam. She went back home, informing Dahlia and Leah of what happened before her father came home and demanded Blaire get in the car. He never told her where they were going and it was slightly scaring her.

     "It doesn't matter. You said that you saw Embry today, right?" Blaire nodded in response. She swore she saw the corner of his lips turn upwards. "Good. If your mother was still alive, she would owe me fifty dollars."

     "What are you talking about?" Her eyebrows furrowed. He waved it off.

     It wasn't until she saw the dim light of the fire that she understood where they were. Members of the council would hold a meeting to discuss problems in La Push and tell the legends on the local beach. It was a superstition about werewolves and vampires, something Blaire would listen to when she was younger. Only the members of the council believed in the stories, Caleb being one of them.

     "C'mon," Caleb whistled. She realized he already parked and exited the car, so she followed in tow. The regular members were here — Billy Black, Quil Ateara III, Harry Clearwater, Sue Clearwater, and Caleb Thompsen. He took a seat in between Billy and Harry, smiling and shaking their hands. Four new members were here and Blaire realized why her father brought her. Embry stared at her through the flames of the fire, his gaze never drifting. He was wearing a shirt this time, but he looked odd and small compared to Sam sitting next to him.

     "Thompsen!" Paul hollered, Jared laughing and bumping his shoulder. Kim sat snugly next to him, a sympathetic glance thrown towards Blaire. "Take a seat. We're just about to get started." She twiddled her thumbs, feeling uncomfortable at the company provided. Before she could sit across from Embry, Sam, and Emily, Sue stood up and gave her a bone crushing hug.

     "Hi, Blaire," she pulled away to examine the teenager. She offered a small smile. "You get more gorgeous every time I see you."

     Blaire blushed at the compliment. "Thanks, Sue." She took a seat, Harry grinning at her. Sue joined his side again and Billy cleared his throat.

     "Alright, let's get started. It's nice to see you, Blaire," he tilted his head as an acknowledgement. Blaire's lips pressed into a thin line when Billy leaned closer for dramatic effect. Kim's eyes were sparkling, like she was ready to hang on his every word. It was her first time at the bonfire.

      "The Quileutes have been a small tribe from the beginning, but we have always had magic in our blood. We were great spirit warriors, shape shifters. We transform into the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies and protect our tribe. One day, our warriors came across a creature. It looked like man but it was hard like stone, and cold as ice. Our warriors' sharp teeth finally tore it apart but only fire would completely destroy it. They lived in fear that the cold man was not alone, and they were right." Blaire shuddered at the chilling sensation passing through her body. Her father used to teach her and Dahlia that vampires were the enemy, and she was still scared of them to this day, even if she knew it was a mere superstition. "She took her vengeance out on the village. Our elder chief, Taha Aki, was the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe after his son was killed. Taha Aki's third wife could see that he would lose. The third wife was no magical being. No special powers but one — courage. The third wife's sacrifice distracted the cold woman long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe. Over time, our enemies have disappeared but one remains. The cold ones. Our magic awakens when they're near and we sense it now. We feel the threat in our blood. Something terrible is coming and we must all be ready. All of us." Billy stared directly at her. She gulped down her fears.