EPILOGUE

★★★★★

EPILOGUE

     SHE STUDIED HER REFLECTION in the mirror, running her palms over the fabric of the dress. The clothing draped down to her knees and she fumbled with the black heels she was wearing. Her hair was perfectly curled and she wore diamond studs, along with a bracelet her mother used to own.

     "You look fine," Dahlia sighed, watching her sister stare at the mirror with a longing look in her eyes. She didn't mention it, but Blaire appeared exactly like Audrey. She pushed the memory away, not wanting to remember the mother she loved. "Embry's going to adore you."

     "You think?" When Blaire removed her cast from her broken arm, she didn't hesitate to pull Embry into a kiss, clutching his shirt with both of her hands. She longed the feeling of running her fingers through his hair without the plaster getting in her way. He immediately asked her on a date, since she was comfortable after having the cast on for a few weeks. Blaire agreed, not wanting to dismiss the opportunity before more vampires came onto the land.

     "I know," Dahlia clarified, pushing her body off the doorframe. She couldn't help but picture if Leah was going to be as beautiful on their first date. The two had barely spoken but Dahlia couldn't shake her off her mind. "Just trust your instincts. Promise me you'll have a good time. You won't think about any roaming bloodsuckers while you're out."

     Blaire rolled her eyes, moving from the mirror to go hug her sister. She knew how much of a struggle Dahlia had been facing the past few weeks. She needed the support right now. "Thank you. Not just for doing my hair, but for everything else. You're the best sister anyone could ask for."

     Dahlia chuckled, squeezing her sister tightly. "Let's just hope I'm a better imprint."

     Blaire frowned, pulling away. She ran her thumb over her sibling's cheek, easing her unsettling nerves. "Leah will come around. You just have to be patient."

     "Blaire!" Caleb called up the stairs. "Embry's here." The werewolf swayed on the heels of his feet, holding a bouquet of roses in his hand. He made a mental note that on Dahlia and Leah's first date, she would have to give her a group of dahlias. He was wearing a dark blue button-down, one of Blaire's favorite shirts. Caleb eyed the young man, smiling at how nervous he was. "Always knew you two would end up together. Drifted towards each other like magnets."

     "Thanks," Embry chuckled, not knowing what else to say. Him and Caleb weren't close, but he appreciated that he always gave him and Blaire some space.

     "Hey, handsome," Blaire greeted, grinning at the sight of him. Embry felt his breath catch at the back of his throat. He examined how beautiful his imprint looked. She wore a lavender dress, the makeup on her eyes popping out from the simple outfit. She giggled and strode over to him, kissing his lips briefly. Dahlia and Caleb watched from the staircase, both of their hearts aching. Caleb was longing for his deceased wife and Dahlia was wistful at the simple thought of Leah Clearwater.

     "Don't stay out too late," Dahlia wiggled her eyebrows. Blaire waved her off and Embry opened the door up for her. She said a goodbye to her family and as soon as the door closed, Embry handed her the pink and white roses.

     "Thanks, Em. These are beautiful," she inhaled the smell of fresh flowers. "Where are we going tonight?" He intertwined their fingers, aware that Dahlia and Caleb were looking at them through the front window.

     "That's top secret," he winked. She scoffed, pushing him playfully.

     "You're seriously not going to tell me?"

     "Nope," he brought the back of her hand to his lips, kissing it gently. "Did I tell you that you look absolutely stunning?"

     She blushed. "No, I don't believe so."

     "Well, you look dashing, my lady."

     "Thank you, kind gentleman. You don't look bad as well."

     Their laughs filled the air, blind to the eyes watching them behind the shadows. The blood colored orbs narrowed at the sight of the happy couple. Her red hair flew behind her as she ran through the woods, her mind set on one target.

the sequel, open wounds, is posted!