SIX

★★★★★

SIX; THE TRUTH

     SHE WAS GOING INSANE. She had to be. If werewolves were real, then she had to rethink her whole life.

     "Blaire," Sam snapped his fingers in front of her face. She didn't move an inch. "Blaire, focus. It's important that you keep this a secret. Nobody can find out, especially your sister. She'll discover it in her own time."

     "Sam, the poor girl's had enough information shoved down her throat for one day," Emily reasoned, leaning down to be leveled with her.

     After Embry had transformed into a giant wolf, Blaire had a panic attack and Embry rushed her to Emily's house. They sat her down in a chair as Sam explained the rules to her. She listened in on half of them, but her mind was buzzing at the moment.

     "I'll make you some cookies." Emily offered a soft smile. Sam stood up to help her.

     "Woah," Paul's booming voice entered Emily's home. "What happened to Thompsen?" There was some shuffling around before Embry's face was in front of Blaire's.

     "I told her," he explained. "She's not taking it so well."

     "I didn't register it the first time either," Kim's voice came into range. "Almost passed out."

     "Yeah, but I was there to catch you," Jared mumbled. There were small kissing sounds and a grunt of displeasure from Paul. Blaire blinked four times, trying to gather herself. Embry's worried eyes were staring into her wide ones.

     "You okay, Bear?"

     "No," she hissed. "I feel like I'm going crazy."

     "You're not," Sam denied. He set a glass of milk in front of her. "Everything you've heard about is true."

     "The legends at the bonfire?" She asked, taking a swig of the drink. It felt cool at the back of her throat. "Is that why my father brought me? He knows?"

     "Yes," Sam nodded in agreement. He sat across from her and Embry pulled up a chair, taking the seat next to her. Jared, Kim, and Paul went into the living room to give them some privacy. "Your father was a shapeshifter himself when he was younger."

     "My father?" Blaire tried to wrap her head around the idea that her father wasn't just a normal human being who loved La Push with his whole heart. It suddenly made sense to her why Caleb adored the tiny town so much. "How come he never told me or Dahlia?"

     "Because he knew you would find out in your own time. He just told me yesterday that I was allowed to tell you everything. I'm warning you though, it's not as great as the legends make it out to be." There was a pause of silence. Did she want to know everything? She had just learned about werewolves a hour ago and she was still shaken up over it.

     Blaire nodded confidently. "Tell me." Sam exchanged glances with Embry before spilling the secrets.

     "The sole reason for us phasing is to protect the people from vampires. A new bloodsucker on the land triggers our transformation. I was the first one to phase. Then Jared, Paul, and Embry." She looked at the boy next to her. He gave a comforting smile. "There's still more to come, most of them originating from the members of the council."

     "Jacob," she murmured, remembering his father.

     "That's correct."

     "Wait," she held her hand up. "Members of the council? Does this mean I'm going to become one of you guys too?"