Prologue

P R O L O G U E

The first shift is always the worst.

The pain is so unbearable and you feel as if you are being ripped apart – limb by limb. Your screams fill the night and there's nothing you can do to stop it, until your body's finally done changing.

Most changes occur during the time you're going through puberty. So usually, it happens when you turn fourteen or fifteen.

I remember my first shift; that day is crystal clear, and I was thirteen.

When I first started to change, I felt like I had just broken a bone – then two, three, and before I knew it my whole body snapped in half. I remember lying on the floor of my room and screaming.

I was screaming at the top of my lungs, but it felt like I couldn’t breathe.

There’s a heat that weaves its way into your bones and right to your heart. Surprisingly, it doesn’t burn like fire would; it feels like energy almost, energy that gets absorbed into your system.

I remember my mother standing in the doorway of my room, with pain in her eyes; like she wished she could just suck up all the pain and take it all herself. But she knew that she could do nothing to help me.

For me, my change lasted one day. You'd think the change would end after a few minutes – not at all. It's so much more complex. Your bones had to heal.

They had to be able to snap back into position and function properly. The bones also had to handle the continuous shifts that were to come. So all in all, one day was pretty short.

The following day after my first shift, I was stuck in my wolf form. My fur was as white as snow and my eyes – they had changed. They were no longer my dull, lifeless brown eyes.

No, they were a brilliant gold color.

My parents found it strange and unusual. This had never happened to them. So when I shifted back – what I saw astonished me. My eyes looked just like they had when I was in my wolf form; pure, liquid gold.

There was another unsettling effect from my change. My father had discovered it. He was the alpha of our pack – East River pack.

And in his mind, my older brother was to receive the pack after my father stepped down. The only thing that would make that difficult was that my brother didn't bare the mark of an alpha.

I did.

Edited 7/31/2014