12. dual betrayal

It was indeed true that Len was REALLY scared of that man when he first approaced him, without any warning at all. A part of him wanted to call out to someone, because of pure paranoia. But the other side on him find it quite pathetic that he always had to rely on the nice princess. Sometimes Rin even teases him about it, but at some point he kinda liked it. Knowing that someone is taking care of you and worrying about you. He was really happy about Rin caring about him and stuff. But someone who is not your family caring so much about you is another story to tell.

When he and Rin were attacked and his family murdered, Rin was the only dear one to him left. He couldn't affort to lose her. Not when this choas was going on, like he already said: he could be mad at the princess who kindly took them in, but she is just like them pretty young and didn't know the good ways or ruling. She doesn't seem te type who got everything from her parents.

That time when a man from behind him stabbed him at his shoulder, he felt hopeless. He felt worthless even, but when the soldiers grabbed the almost unconcious Rin. That's when he snapped, he didn't even have much memory left, only a few bloody screams who still haunted him in his dreams.

He didn't learn swordsplay because he liked it (like Rin), but he learned it because he wanted to protect the ones he loves. He always hid his skills, even when they beat him up. He let his sister do the fighting work. He was called a failure of a man, but he didn't mind. If he had such a reputation back there, it will be more of a suprise when they even lay a finger on his loved ones.

He only had one fear: loss. The fear to lose his loved ones, the fear to lose his stuff and the fear to lose himself in another version of him. He didn't know how to handle it and that was maybe the reason why he snapped back there. Luckily, Rin didn't have much memory about that, the only thing she rememberd was her brother serious injured and sick.

Because he was scared of loss. He wanted to make many friends and hold away enemies. But he didn't know that humans are alot smarter then he thought they were. Especialy that lord Kaito. He never knew that guy would turn his blade to him... Litterly. Just like the dream he was in...

~*~

'Hey kaito!' He answerd cheerfully, he was really enjoying the outside air. And some moving around. Always when he was forced into his room, he would feel like he was in prison. Even though he knew that they did it for his own good. He still liked to sneak out and enjoy some time alone. Untill that lord Kaito stumbled onto him. At first his intuition told him to get away, his intuition still told him that till today. But he ignored it's wise warning and still became friends with this mysterious and rude lord.

They would always talk about many unimportant stuff and share life experiences. Even though Len didn't have much to share with him. The guy was after all 6 years older than him. He once heard Kaito tell him that he had a crush on Miku once, but got over it. But something in his eyes told something else. But today Kaito came with a rather suprising proposal to do that day...

'Len? Did you ever fight with a sword before?' It really suprised him. Normally Kaito would talk about non-violent stuff and now suddenly about swords? Well, he couldn't blame him. Len himself sometimes switches between flowers to the war a few weeks ago.

Len flashed him a innocent smile and curious eyes. 'Well, yeah. But I am not as good as my sister. I just did it to please my sister. She was quite demanding.' That was a lie, but even then A bright happy-go-lucky smile was pointed to Kaito. But the weather made the opposite expression, warning the boy for danger of this request. Dense as Len was he still listened to his "best friend"

'You know, I really like swordfighting. And because I missed the daily practice I recieve everyday to stay here. I was wondering if you could do me a pleasure as a friend and practice a little with me...' There was a little silence, Len wouldn't mind personally. He wouldn't mind if he got hurt, but what bothered him was the pain he would give his sister and Miku. And of course he can just fight for the fun of it. It's not like when Rin is watching with her pleading eyes, which he can't refuse to fight his real fighting style. But now she isn't here so he could "fail" all he wants.

But Len did notice that his body won't always listen to every command his brain sends them. For some reason, since he had this sickness he felt after some pain attacks always stronger. Like some curse was flowing in his blood... He knew exactly why... But at that moment 7 years back... his greatest fear... was his strongest power...

He let out a soft chuckle. 'Kaito! I can't believe how tense you are at a little sword to sword duel!' He laughed and grabbed his stomach to stop the laughing. For a moment Kaito stood there in daze. It was the first time in his whole life he got laughed at! But for some reason, he wasn't really angry at him. Or rather, he was happy. Why? He didn't know, but seeing his "friend" laugh like this, made him happy. He was utterly confused and considered that his plan was only gonna break people hearts...

idiot, he thought to himself, the plan must continue, don't you wanna have her heart anymore?!

Well, I can continue the plan without the killing part... Kaito nodded mental and made a mental note that he didn't have to do the last step anymore, after all Len was his rival and he must dispose of him. But he still was his friend... SINCE WHEN DID HE GET SO ATTACHED to him?! Well, it didn't matter anymore...

'I only played with wooden harmless swords before. So I don't think I can handle real swords...' Another lie, Len always practiced with real sword, sometimes even mercyless... A smirk appeared on Kaito's face. Just perfect! 'Ah come on Lenny-boy! You are old enough to handle a sword right? Otherwise I can't really gat the feeling of a fight here!' Len hesitated for a moment, if he held a real sword he would get serious and things might not play out then. He sat there for a moment and then said carefully: 'Well, I like to play with the wooden sword, I feel more secure that way and I don't want to hurt you because of my clumsyness. Then you can wield a real sword.' Len could sense that Kaito really liked the idea, because he was pratically bouncing up and down.

'let's the dual begin!'

Something is fishy here, Len thought as he set himself into position...

~*~

He did extra easy on the older guy. Leaving himself wide open for him to hit. He could sense that the guy had practiced really hard, but didn't mater the basic yet. If Len was serious, he could have knocked the sword out of his hand in one move. But for his friends pleasure, he just acted like he bearly dodged. Then at one moment, he "lost concentration" and his wooden sword was knocked out of his hand. and he fell on the ground, to be honest Len didn't expect Kaito to hit the sword THAT hard out of his hand. It was a friendly dual after all!

On the ground there he sat a bit thinking about why Kaito would use such force against him. Not that he was upset about it, he was more suprised and curious. Kaito was always gentle with him, but was his friend just in the fighting trance? That was possible...  He sighed and just put on a proud smile. 'ah! you got me! Now what should we do ne- why are you almost cutting me with your sword?' Now he was a bit upset about what Kaito was doing. He didn't like that kind of jokes! Jokes who have threatening inside them... he loathed them. Maybe it had something to do with his past though...

He was frozen there, he didn't want to be stabbed. A slightest movement would mean a harsh cut. He just hoped that his friend will realise that he didn't like the joke. But sadly...

he didn't

It was his goal all along...

'Please don't move and be a good boy, Len. I don't wanna hurt my friend friend...'

water dripped down from above him. Falling on the sword pointed at his throat. Other "tears of heaven" fell down, so it would cover the real tears...

the tears of betrayal....