Chapter 24

Sorry it's taken so long, but I'm losing my will to write. I have so many ideas for the later books, and very few for the first couple. I'm pushing forward, hoping this is just a bad case of writer block.

I hope you enjoy!

This is dedicated to Emmalee_Sky for her awesome story Killer Lies! You should check it out, and vote so she'll update more :O

************************************************************************************************************

I froze, unable to think of a way to avoid him. I could hear Snape was getting annoyed with the chatty gargoyle. I looked around trying to find a place to hide. The only place that seemed remotely hideable was the large window that had a partially concealed ledge. I stepped onto the railing and managed to leap to the other side. I quickly pushed myself as far back as possible, hoping Snape wouldn’t have the urge to look out the window.

                I heard the gargoyle swing open and I held my breath. Snape walked quickly up the stairs, seeming to be in a hurry. Probably to rat me out, I thought. As soon as he was out of sight, I leaped back onto the staircase and ran out.

                I was out of breath by the time I reached the Common Room. I composed myself in front of the Fat Lady.

                “Password?” She asked snidely, obviously annoyed at being awoken from her early afternoon nap.

                “Bladderdash,” I replied. Merlin, we need a new password.

                The portrait swung opened and I walked inside to find Harry, Ron, and Hermione about ready to leave.

                “Where are you guys headed?” I asked them, trying to keep the suspicion out of my voice.

                “We’re headed to see Hagrid to talk about the S-.” Ron was cut off by an elbow to the stomach from Hermione, but the damage was done.

                “I think I’ll come to. I haven’t seen Hagrid in quite a while. It would be wonderful to see him again.” Hermione face-palmed, but the other two seemed quite all right with it.

                We walked quickly to Hagrid’s hut, with only the constant reminder to study from Hermione said between the four of us. I noticed the smoke coming from Hagrid’s hut, which was odd seeing as it was a warm spring day.

                I opened the door to the hut and was blasted with heat. I instantly began to sweat. It was ridiculously hot. I looked and saw Hagrid had a full fire going, with a pot hanging over it. I noticed a black egg sitting in the pot. 

                "So -- yeh wanted to ask me somethin’."

                 "Yes," said Harry. "We were wondering if you could tell us what's guarding the Sorcerer's Stone apart from Fluffy."

                Hagrid frowned at him. "0' course I can’t,” he said. "Number one, I don' know meself. Number two, yeh know too much already, so I wouldn' tell yeh if I could. That Stone's here fer a good reason. It was almost stolen outta Gringotts - I s'ppose yeh've worked that out an' all. Beats me how yeh even know abou' Fluffy."

                 "Oh, come on, Hagrid, you might not want to tell us, but you do know, you know everything that goes on round here," said Hermione in a warm, flattering voice. Hagrid's beard twitched and they could tell he was smiling. "We only wondered who had done the guarding, really." Hermione went on. "We wondered who Dumbledore had trusted enough to help him, apart from you." Hagrid's chest swelled at these last words. Harry and Ron beamed at Hermione. I groaned. Who knew Hermione could be such a kiss-arse. Oh wait.