Chapter 4

Carl's POV

I sit there next to her, screaming at the rest of the group to go get Hershall. I stroke her straight brown hair as she lay in a pool of her own blood, out cold.

"Don't worry Alex. When you wake up, I will be right here next to you. I swear." I whisper to her, tears pouring out of my eyes. Daryl comes out and picks her up to take her to Hershall. I stand up and follow him inside. He lies her down in front of Hershall. He tells everybody to leave the room so he can operate and get the bullet out. I walk out and sit by the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been an hour and I'm worried sick. I sit with my back against the cool concrete walls of the prison and just wait. Hershall finally comes out.

"She's stable. She should be ok. For now." He says and walks away. I stand up quickly and walk inside. I pull up a chair next to her bed and sit next to her. Looking at her makes me realize how much I actually like her. I would do anything for her. Anything at all. I scoot closer to the bed and stroke her hair.

"Don't worry Alex. I'm here. I will always be here." I whisper as a single tear drops off my cheek. I sit, just holding her hand and whispering. I feel like I won't get much sleep tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12:45 AM

Still just sitting. Waiting for her to wake up. Holding her hand. Just, waiting. I begin to doze off until I feel her fingers tighten around mine. I sit up, alert.

"Carl?" She whispers, with all the energy she can muster. I scoot my chair closer to her.

"Yes baby girl? I'm here." I say quietly. She turns her head and looks at me.

"Thanks for staying with me." She smiles.

"You're welcome. Now get more rest. You need it." I whisper, still holding her hand.

"You need some too. Come lay next to me." She says. I chuckle. Still the same Alex. Always caring for others. I climb over her and lie down beside her. She scoots closer to me and wraps her arms around my waist. I love the way this feels. Alex and I. I love how well we fit together. Personalities, bodies, lips, everything. It would make me the happiest boy on earth if she were mine. I could ask her to be my girlfriend when she wakes up. But that's later. She lies her head on my chest as I wrap my arm around her small frame, and drift off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*The Next Morning

I open my eyes to find Alex and I still cuddled together. I chuckle and shake her gently.

"Alex, I'm going to go and eat. Want to come?" I ask, my voice hoarse from my sleep. She smiles and nods her head.

I climb over her and stand up. I reach out my hand to help her up. She takes if and I get her standing. I pick her up bridal style and walk down to where the others are. Daryl looks up and smiles. I set her down next to him and smile back.

"Come sit down Carl." Alex says, patting the seat next to her. I sit and put my arm around her waist. She turns to me and smiles.

"Thanks for everything Carl."

"What do you mean?" I ask, puzzled.

"I mean, thanks for being there for me all the time. Whether I need it or not. Not that I'm complaining." She winks and turns to Daryl. I laugh.

"Geez! Ya'll need to hurry up and get together already!" Merle yells from the other side of the room. Alex's cheeks turn bright red and she looks down at her food. Everybody else in the cell block laughs. I grab Alex's hand and walk out to the guard tower.

We sit down in the chairs and just stare at our hands. I look up at Alex.

"Do... Do you want to..." I trail off. She looks up.

"Do what?"

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?" I ask shyly. She just stares at me shocked. Then, her face breaks out into a grin. She jumps up and smashes her lips against mine. Once again, our lips fitting together like a puzzle piece. Once again, sparks fly. I set my hand on the back of her neck and continue kissing her. It's a passionate kiss. She pulls back.

"I'll take that as a yes." She nods and pecks my lips once more. She takes my hand and rushes back into the prison, dragging me with her. When she enters, all heads turn to us.

"Well?" Dad shouts from the back. Alex nods and everybody cheers. I press my lips to hers and a chorus of 'awww' s erupt in the room. We pull apart and I wrap my arm around her waist.

Alex Johnson is finally my girlfriend.