Chapter 2

Carl's POV

I was so happy to see Alex. Every night for the past few years I would lay in bed and worry about her. But now, For the first night in two years, I don't have to. I lay in bed, almost asleep until I hear footsteps come in my cell. I turn around, expecting it to be Alex, but it's my dad. He sits on my bed.

"Hey son" He says, smiling.

"Hey"

"Glad you got to see Alex?" He asks. At the mention of her name, I smile. I nod my head.

"Dad, I think I like Alex." I say. The words come out like vomit. He smiles.

"I knew you would one day." He says. "She's a very pretty girl."

"But I don't just like her for her looks, Dad. I like everything about her. Her personality, everything." I say. He nods.

"Ok son. Goodnight." He says the leaves my cell. I smile, roll over, and close my eyes.

Alex's POV

I shoot up in the bed, breathing hard. The dream plays in my head over and over.

"Hey Carl, ca-" I turn around to see Carl getting bit on the shoulder by one of those ugly beasts. I shoot it in the head and run over to Carl.

"No, no, no! Don't die Carl We can save you! I can I swear! Just don't go out on me!" I scream, tears pouring out my eyes.

"Alex, go! I'll be ok I swear! Just go!" he yells. I stand up to see a huge herd coming our way.

"Ok but one thing!" I say.

"What?"

"I love you, more than a friend." I say then turn and run.

Do I like Carl more than a friend? I don't know. But I need him by my side right now. I get up and walk down to Carl's cell. I stop when I hear Rick's voice inside.

"Glad to see Alex?" Rick says. The words Carl say next both startle me and make me so happy.

"Dad, I think I like Alex." Rick starts to say something but I tune out. Carl likes me back! How great of a boyfriend would he be? I smile. My thoughts are interrupted by Rick coming out of Carl's cell and winking at me. I grin at him as he walks away. I stand up and walk back to my cell. I lay down and fall asleep instantly.

*The next morning*

I open my eyes and roll over in bed. The light from the prison windows shines in my face. I stand up and go down to where everybody else is. I sit down next to Daryl and punch him lightly in the arm. He looks over and smiles then ruffles my hair. I giggle and look around. Once I spot Carl, I smile and wave. He waves shyly back at me. I stand up and go sit next to him.

"Hey Carl!"

"Hey Alex." He says, yawning. I smile.

"How are you this beautiful morning? You know, if you subtract those things trying to eat us." I say, trying to add humor to this sucky life. He chuckles.

"Here" he says, holding out his hand for me to take. "Lets go to my cell and talk." I take his hand and follow him to the cell.

He sits down on the bed and pats the space next to him, signaling that he wants me to sit there. I do. He turns to me.

"Sorry to get right to the sad questions, but how did your mom die?" I blurt out not meaning to. He looks down at his hands.

"Well, she was going into labor, but something wasn't going right. So, Maggie had to cut her stomach open and get the baby out. We did get her out, but mom died. I had to shoot her so she didn't turn." He mumbles sadly. still playing with his fingers. I'm speechless. He had to kill his mom. I open my arms wide and go in for a hug. He buries his head deep in my shoulder and cries. He clings onto me for dear life and just cries. When he is finished, he pulls back. I wipe the remaining tears off his cheeks and just look into his eyes. He breaks eye contact and looks down. He's changed alot since all this started. He used to barely be able to kill a spider. Now, he has to kill something everyday. I feel for him. I'm the same way. We've both lost people, and it's changed us.

"I know how you feel." I say quietly. His head snaps up, eyes crazy.

"No you don't!" He screams at me. I back up, startled. "You didn't have to kill someone you love to keep them from turning into one of those things!" He shouts, edging closer to me. I shove him back.

"Yes I have!" I yell at him. He backs up.

"What?" he whispers. I nod.

"How?"

"It was last year. Remember my boyfriend, Dave?" He nods. "Well, one day in the woods, a walker came up behind him and bit him on the neck. He fell down while I killed the thing. He was in so much pain. He pointed at my gun from the ground. I pulled it out, he pointed at his head, and nodded. So I shot him to put him out of his misery." I said. When Carl didn't say anything, I turned around and started to walk away. Tears streaming down my face. But before I could get out of his cell, I felt an arm spin my around and I ran into Carl. He put his strong arms around my waist and hugged me tightly. I cried into his shoulder. His shirt muffling my sobs. He stroked my hair as I cried. He held me the whole time I was crying. When the majority of the tears were gone, I pulled back.

"I'm ok. It's been a year. I should be over it." His eyes fill with sadness.

"Time doesn't always heal the heart." he says. He pats my back and walks off. I manage a small smile and walk out of the cell.

I walk into the main area, or the "Living room" as Carl calls it. I spot Daryl cleaning his crossbow and sit next to him. I see Daryl as an uncle-ish figure in my life. He seems really cool.

"Hey Daryl." I say. He turns to me.

"Hey Senorita Kick Ass." He says. "Want to go on a run with me?" My eyes light up.

"Yeah I do! When are we goin?"

"Now." He says and walks out the door. I grab my weapons and walk out with him. As I walk out the door, the thought pops into my head.

What did Carl mean by: shoot them before they turn?

I decide to ask him. I spot him next to the gate and run over to him.

"Hey, what did you mean earlier by saying you had to shoot her before she turned. She wasn't bit." I say. His face becomes emotionless.

"The walker virus, we all have it. So, no matter how you die, you still turn into one." My eyes widen in shock. No way.

"Hey! You still coming?" Daryl shouts from his motorcycle. I nod and run his way. I hop on the back. Daryl revvs up the engine and takes off. Carol opens the gate and closes it behind us.

I can't believe it. We all have that virus.

I grab onto Daryl's jacket as we leave the safety of the prison.

And Carl