Chapter 25

When I heard Faven leave, I ran back to the table where Mika was sitting alone. Barriss walked into the room and put a hand in the air. All the Jedi in the Mess quieted.

"Let us have a great feast tonight! We have a special guest: Andora, Jedi Padawan." She pointed with her hand to me.

I smiled and stood, acknowledging the honor. Mika smiled at me and clapped.

Battle droids came out of the kitchen with plates of food. That was a nice touch. She had reprogramed the droids to serve the Jedi. It reminded me of Anakin.

I shook off the thought. A battle droid set down a wonderful meal in front of me. I smiled at it. Mika started to eat right away.

"I haven't had food this good since... ever!" She said, laughing.

"How long have you been here?" I asked, taking a spoonful of food.

"I don't know exactly, but I got here fairly early."

I just nodded.

"Do you like it here?" She asked.

"Very much. It's nice to know we're not alone."

"Barriss told me about your mission."

"What mission?" I asked as if I knew nothing.

"You know. You're supposed to go find the Jedi. I want in."

"You're like nine years old." I laughed.

"I'm ten, and I'm going."

"No. You're not." I got up and left the table.

She didn't follow.

Walking back to my room, I wondered what Faven would say, how she would react. I wanted answers from her, from Barriss, from anyone who would answer me. I wanted to know what Barriss' motives were, because it didn't feel right.

When I finally reached the room, I cautiously opened the door. Faven was lying on her bed, staring up at the ceiling, playing with her lightsaber hilt.

"Hey," I offered quietly.

"Barriss is crazy." She replied aimlessly.

"It doesn't make sense."

"It doesn't." She agreed. "Why would she want one major power source when she could have many? One major power source could be found out quicker and decimated. What are her motives, I wonder?"

"Me too. It doesn't seem right. Even Mika..." I trailed off.

"You think she's crooked too?" Faven asked, sitting up.

"First, I never said Barriss was crooked, and second, I never said Mika was crooked. She's ten years old and a little too persistent. This whole compound just seems strange. It's like all the Jedi are brainwashed or something." I commented blatantly.

"I think we should leave." Faven stood up.

"I agree." I said quickly.

Suddenly, the door opened. It was Barriss.

"Have you considered my proposition?" She asked gently.

"Yes." Faven said firmly.