Chapter Three

Dinner was at half past six. It was usually around this time, but it varied, depending on the time needed for the food to cook. The table in the dining room was set with Newbridge Silverware – a present from Hazel's mother – placemats with black-and-white geometric patterns on it, plain cylindrical glasses and a large jug of diluted orange drink. Monty was putting down some paper napkins between the knives and forks as Hazel was carrying the hot plates from the kitchen.

She asked him to call Justin, whom they hadn't seen since their mysterious encounter earlier that day. He put his head around the door and yelled up the stairs. There were some moments of silence, broken by some muffled thumping sounds and what he thought were low groans.

"I'll be down in a minute," he finally answered.

"The dinner looks lovely," Monty said to Hazel. It did look lovely. Even something simple like chicken, mashed potato was always presented very nicely, with a bit of parsley on the side. Though Monty personally though that the parsley was a bit unnecessary, he appreciated the effort she always put in. It was one of the reasons that he loved her, she always gave everything her all.

"Just check that the chicken's fully cooked," she said as she said every time they had chicken. "I'm terrified of giving you salmonella."

Monty had cut open the chicken and proclaimed it perfectly cooked when Justin walked in. He was adjusting the way that a long-sleeved jumper was sitting on his shoulders. A low-key alarm sounded in Hazel's mind. Justin never wore a jumper to dinner and very seldom wore the one he wore now, which was a kind of dirty green colour with a dripping black peace sign. It was a birthday present from someone and she frankly thought it was very ugly. Justin always dressed reasonably well, so why was he wearing this? He sat down without saying a word. He just nodded slightly and poured a glass of orange.

"Why are you wearing a jumper?" she asked him.

"I'm kind of cold," he muttered, not meeting her eyes. The house was quite warm, but maybe that was just her after being in the kitchen.

Monty took a hold of Justin and Hazel's hands and gave thanks to God for their meal. Though not the most religious family, Monty was raised Catholic and it was almost second nature to him. Hazel was raised by an atheist father and a Catholic mother (whose marriage caused a bit of a scandal in their small hometown) but always believed in God, even if she wasn't a "proper" Catholic. They all intoned: "Amen" and started eating.

Monty and Hazel talked for a few minutes on affairs of business, bills and some local gossip. Did you hear? So and so did this and that... and the likes of that. But this conversation soon lost momentum and the table lapsed into quietness.

Again, there was silence. The sound of knives and forks scraping against the plate and the gentle sounds of chewing and drinking floated through the air, filling the awkward space.

About halfway through dinner being finished, Hazel decided to break the awkward silence, even if it made things more awkward. She looked at Justin purposefully and smiled slightly.

"Is the food alright?" she asked.

"Delicious," mumbled Monty. Hazel shot him a glance that said Shut up I'm trying to get him to talk and he mouthed an embarrassed apology.

She turned back to her son. "Justin?"

He glanced up and "humph"ed through a mouthful of potato.

"The food," she repeated. "Is it alright?"

"Yeah," he said very quietly. "It's fine. Thanks." He went back to cutting up his chicken, leaving yet another silence. She tried again.

"So," she said in what she believed to be a casual tone but instead was a kind of tone someone uses when being sneaky. "Did anything else happen in school today?"

"Not really. It was kind of boring."

Monty spoke this time: "That fight you mentioned, who was in it?" he figured that it must have meant something if it was one of the few things he mentioned.

There was brief hesitation. It wasn't especially noticeable if you weren't paying attention, but Monty did. Justin merely said: "What?" like he had a clump of earwax lodged in his ear.

"Who was in the fight?"

"Just some older kids," he responded, waving his fork like he was dismissing the subject as unimportant.

"What were they fighting about?" interjected Hazel.

"Just something stupid," he said. This was followed by a sudden uttering of: "Bastards."

"Justin!" reprimanded Monty, who did not approve of swearing.

"Sorry." He cast his eyes down to the plate and pushed a few baby carrots around with his fork.

Hazel felt like they were getting somewhere. "Why were they bastards?"

"They're just some older idiots. Stupid, ignorant douches. Nothing special about them."

"Do we know them," she inquired.

"No," he said slowly. "I don't think you do know... them. I don't think you know them."

Yet again, silence. Hazel felt that she could have picked up the butter knife and cut through the heavy atmosphere.

Monty was the one to break the silence this time. "You're being very quiet tonight."

"If I have anything to say, I'll say it," Justin said sharply.

Hazel was taken aback. "Justin!"

"What?" he snapped.

"Why are you being so snappy? We're just asking some questions."

"That's just it," he growled. "I'm really tired and just sick of questions!"

Where is this attitude coming from?" said Monty disbelievingly. This was very unlike Justin. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Just stop poking me with questions! I'm stressed!"

"About what?"

"Never mind what!" he said, his voice rising slightly.

"Just tell us. Maybe we can-"

Justin cut him off. "Never mind! It's not important!"

"It obviously is if you're acting like this!" Hazel shot back.

"Just leave me alone!" he said, more loudly this time. He slapped his cutlery down on the table and stood up suddenly. "I'm going to my room."

"But you haven't finished your dinn-" started Hazel, but he had already stormed quickly out of the dining room.

Monty called after him. "Justin! Come back... come back down here!"

He didn't seem to pay any heed. Again they listened to the sound of his feet up the stairs, stomping loudly on the each step and a bang as he slammed his door behind him.

"What the hell has gotten into him?!" Monty said after they had processed Justin's suddenly departure.

"I'm really worried now," said Hazel, putting her hand over her mouth. "There's something wrong. I mean I would say it's just hormones, but this is different."

"Should we go up and talk to him?"

"I'll go up and see if I can get anything else out of him," she answered, sliding her chair back.

"Do you want me to go with you?"

"No, it's better if it's one of us."

"Okay. I'll clean up the dishes," he replied. There wasn't a chance of them finishing what little was left of their food.

"Thanks," she said as she walked out the door.

"Call me if you need me."