defense × suho

Those who go to war know that you protect your people, beliefs, and yourself.

When Suho became a leader, he knew that he had to protect everyone and everything the could.

the storyteller's view

It was early in the morning. There were no concern of clocks, for time never seems to be the same during battle.

Fog settled on the mountains, and it climbed down lower and lower until it covered the air with misty white.

There was not a peep, not a whisper, nor a step. Everyone was asleep.

Except for the four soldiers standing outside the two giant tents, one standing on each side. They had just woken up around half an hour ago when the other four soldiers had finished their shift.

Standing absolutely still, the four soldiers looked around the blurry air with darting eyes and hands that clenched their guns to their chest.

And suddenly, they hear it.

Replacing the sounds of silence and occasional rustling from the tent was the crashing of waves.

The waves began to groan and roar ever so softly, but was loud enough to be heard by the soldiers, who were 100 meters away from the platform they had fought on yesterday.

But despite the never ending sounds of waves, there was a peaceful silence.

However, there was a soul that felt uneasy.

Junmyeon was standing on the sand of the beach, staring aimlessly beyond the blue waters.

He focuses on the one part of the ocean where he remembers a kind hyung who saved him, wrapped in white bandages, sinking down into the water for burial.

Suho knows that the hyung's death wasn't his fault. And yet the guilt of not being able to save that hyung was eating Suho alive.

When Suho was younger, and known as Junmyeon, his father and grandfather had always told him that he was a natural leader. Trained him even, to be the one voice that brings the team together, to tell them that they could do this and that their hard work has paid off.

But back then, Junmyeon thought that being a leader of the grandsons of The Twelve was a simple job. Keep everyone in check, keep the members happy and work hard together.

But no. No one had told him what being a leader had actually meant.

Being a leader, Junmyeon now realized, isn't just "follow hyung around" like ducks and do the right thing. It was so much more than that.

Being the leader, meant that you were the first one to go out on this battlefield, to be prepared to take the first hit or throw the first hit. To encourage his men to fight for their beliefs. A leader was someone who decided which enemy dies and which comrade is saved. And to be a leader, was to be brave.

And Junmyeon wasn't feeling brave. Heck, he was mentally drowning from the death of the soldiers who courageously fought out here. For them. For Exoplanet. For themselves, for their freedom. But the thing was, Junmyeon didn't even properly know their names.