Chapter 27 (The End)

Georgia spent the rest of Friday making sure that the party kicked off without any problems. She kept her eyes open for Ewan but he was nowhere and everywhere. She didn't like to think that he was avoiding her but that was how it felt. Every time she caught a glimpse of him he would smile and as she made her way towards him, ready to be in his arms at last, he would disappear.

The caterer had found her and spent half an hour apologizing for Molly and promising that it would never happen again. The poor man looked as if he was going to drop at any minute from nerves. Georgia had spent the better part of an hour assuring him that as long as the party was a success he would have a good reference.

The few times that Georgia had caught sight of Diana she had been with her friends, a thoughtful expression on her face as she watched them interacting with each other. The one time their eyes met they had exchanged smiles but she hadn't tried to seek Georgia out again.

By Saturday morning, when she still hadn't managed to corner Ewan, she was close to a full on meltdown, she thought about throwing a tantrum like Diana where something got broken and there were tears but commonsense would reassert itself and she would carry on as usual.

Shortly after lunch, while everyone was busy with their afternoon entertainment of a picnic and lawn games, Georgia made herself take a walk. The beautiful sunshine was warm on her skin and she kicked off her shoes letting the grass tickle her toes. She was on the opposite side of the property from everyone else so she was able let her hair down and not be noticed.

"You look much happier than the last time I saw you." Aunt Priscilla's voice carried across the stretch of grass from the terrace.

Georgia looked over at her and smiled as she walked in her direction. "I am." When she reached her aunt's side she gave her a hug and then walked with her to one of the benches under a pergola covered in summer roses.

"Ewan looked much happier when I saw him yesterday as well. Did you work out your ridiculous problems?"

Georgia couldn't help the frown. "No, he's avoiding me."

"Is he?" Priscilla sounded bored which meant she was anything but, she knew what Ewan was up to no doubt. When Georgia tried to meet her eyes she looked away and knowing that her aunt was a stubborn woman she let it go and settled in for a chat. "Are you enjoying yourself?"

"No, not particularly, I've remembered why I left this life so many years ago. I don't like these people."

"Maybe you just don't know them?"

"The younger ones perhaps, but I know the older ones and I'm not shocked to discover that they haven't changed at all in thirty years. You would think that a certain maturity would have set in but no, they are all just as full of themselves now as they were then."

"I have a favor to ask of you," Georgia said as she picked a rose next to her and raised it to her nose while she considered how to phrase it.

"You want me to take Diana back with me?" Priscilla nodded. "Ewan asked me the same thing. You both think alike I'll give you that. It will make it easier to raise your children."

Georgia smiled at the thought of children. Lots of little Ewans if she had anything to say about it. She was so lost in her wonderful day dream that her aunt caught her off guard with her next remark.

"I was surprised when Sylvia called me, but I was even more surprised when she told me that you had fallen in love with Ewan. He was a normal child, full of energy and devilish sense of humor, but I had heard stories of what or who he had become as a man and I couldn't marry the two of you in my mind. He sounded so very different than Scott."