Chapter 16

As the car drew up in front of the Mailler's home Georgia felt a strong sense of not homecoming but familiarity. It wasn't her home and it never would be, but she had had happy times while she lived there and she had made friends.

"It's amazing that they still have a home this size in the heart of London. They could have sold it years ago and made millions for the land alone," Sylvia said as the car stopped.

"It's not as if they need the money Grandmother." Reggie laughed as he moved to exit the car when his door was opened. Someone had been nice enough to send a car to the airport to pick them up upon their arrival.

Georgia was the last one out of the car and she was just in time to see Carrie coming down the steps towards them. "Hello," she said quickly to all of them before turning to Georgia. "Georgia, I hate for you to have to start immediately but there is a bit of a situation."

Carrie turned and led them all up and into the main hall. Georgia did her best to not let her eyes wander. She wanted to see if it was all still the same or if it had changed.  From what little she could see everything was in its proper place.

Sylvia was not attempting to hide her interest as her eyes scanned everything.

There was a commotion at the top of the stairs and she turned to see Craig leading the way with Ewan following. He had only left her the day before so it shouldn't feel as if she hadn't seen him in months. He was dressed in a grey suit and a cobalt blue tie. He had also had his hair cut. He was studying his phone not paying attention to the new arrivals.

She forced her eyes away from him and met Craig's eyes. He looked shocked to see her standing in front of him. Georgia kept her face as clear as possible as he looked from her to Ewan. "Ms. Dawson?" Her name became a question as he tried to figure out what was going on and why she was there.

 "Mr. Parks," she said, choosing to ignore his question.  There was probably a reason that Ewan chose not to tell him about her arrival. His eyes suddenly moved from her to Carrie who was all but pacing behind her.

"Is there a problem Ms. O'Dell?" Craig asked, his attention drawn from her to Carrie.

"Not at all Mr. Parks." She swallowed hard and looked beseechingly at Georgia.

Georgia gave her a calming smile as she grabbed her arm and pulled her to stand next to her. Ewan looked up from his phone, his gaze taking in the group. "Reggie, Sylvia." He nodded, ignoring Georgia as he reached the bottom of the stairs.  "You'll have to excuse me. I have an important meeting that I can't put off, but I'll be back this evening. I think Diana is planning a dinner to welcome you."

Carrie gave a little squeak and they all turned to look at her, her color rose and she forced a smile. "Yes, it's all taken care of." It wasn't the least bit convincing.

As Ewan's eyes left her they landed on Georgia. His face was its usual mask as he reached past her for his brief case. "I don't have a coat to button this time what a shame," he said softly before stepping back. "Welcome back Ms. Dawson," he said loudly for the others to hear.

"Thank you Mr. Mailler," she said in a neutral voice, wanting to strangle him. She should have never shared that memory with him.

 Without a goodbye he turned and left, taking Craig with him.

"Georgia would you mind going to the kitchen while I show Mr. and Mrs. Carlisle to their rooms?" Carrie asked.

Georgia guessed that the "situation" was in the kitchen so she nodded and head that way with a sigh of resignation. She had come to work and the sooner she put things to rights the sooner she could disappear.