Chapter 4

That morning was a fashion show with a late lunch afterwards. Then they went straight to the salon where Diana had a massage and a facial before having a pedicure and a manicure. Finally, she had her hair done for the black tie affair that she and her brother were attending that evening.

Not another word was mentioned about James to Georgia as she stayed close to Diana all day, keeping track of her and her personal belongings while adjusting her schedule as needed.

Her job was hectic at times, but for the most part she was paid well to stand by Diana and help her when needed. She was almost a modern day version of a ladies maid except that Diana dressed herself.

By the time they returned to the house her headache was beyond the description of painful and had moved into the territory of blinding. As they entered the main hall of the house they caught Craig as he was coming down the stairs.

He looked from Georgia to Diana and then back to Georgia.

"Miss Mailler, Mr. Mailler wanted me to tell you that he will meet you here at a quarter to eight. May I have a moment of Ms. Dawson's time?" he asked formally.

Diana waved her hand in dismissal as she continued up the stairs as if nothing had been said, not bothering to give Craig the time of day. As Georgia turned to Craig she noted that he didn't look the least bit concerned by her overt rudeness.

"Are you feeling alright Georgia?" He looked at her closely, taking her face in his hand as Ewan had done earlier but she felt nothing of what she felt when Ewan had touched her.

"I have a bit of a headache but I'm alright." She forced a weary smile.

"Come, let's get some tea, that will make you feel better." He took her arm and started to move her towards the end of the large hall and the kitchen entrance. They descended the stairs to the kitchen which was located on the bottom level of the house.

"Ms. Levitt, Ms. Dawson needs a cup of tea and something to eat. I believe she feels a little peeked."

The longtime cook of the house looked over at Georgia, taking in her appearance with a look of dismayed concern.

"Coming right up Mr. Parks." She busied herself putting together a quick sandwich and a cup of tea. Ms. Levitt knew better than to ask what had happened. There was little doubt that she had already heard about it from the other staff.

Craig left her in Ms. Levitt's capable hands and returned to his evening's tasks.

Georgia sat in silence, much to weary to converse about anything. Halfway through her tea and sandwich the door to the kitchen opened and in came Molly and another maid named Ruth. Ruth was silently listening to Molly who was chattering; oblivious of the fact the Georgia was sitting at the table.

"I swear she has designs on him. She was so jealous when I dared to mentioned that he might so much as look at me," Molly was saying.

Georgia had no doubt that she was talking about her.

"If you ask me, I think she was only giving you some wise advice," Ruth returned, her face turning red as she caught sight of Georgia sipping her tea.

"I don't think so. You should have seen the way he took her face in his hands and looked at her. There's something there I tell you-," just then Molly turned and caught sight of Georgia sitting at the the table calmly sipping her tea.

If Georgia wasn't feeling so poorly she would have laughed at the look on her face.

"Oh, Ms. Dawson." Molly forced a smile as if she hadn't just been talking about her.