Chapter 5

The next day Georgia felt much better and was embarrassed about her behavior the day before. Slowly, she walked over to the mirror on her dressing table and looked at her cheek. There was no way she was going to be able to wear her glasses, she would have to break out the contacts.

The side of her face was a nice deep purple but at least the swelling had gone down some. The thought of touching it to apply makeup was just too much. It was a shame that she couldn't call in sick, but when you lived in the same house as your employer that was a little hard to do.

Realizing that she was running late, she dressed quickly and moved down the corridor to Diana's rooms where she was sitting-up in bed with breakfast on her lap and the paper spread out next to her.

"Look Georgia, the pictures from last night turned out divine, and it looks as if they have picked out Ewan's latest love interest." She shook her head. "It would be a good match if it were true." She passed the paper over to Georgia. "What do you think?"

Georgia looked at the papers noting that Diana was right.  The photos were lovely but then they almost always were.  The Maillers were very photogenic.

"Isobel Rossini." Georgia said, looking at the photo of her and Ewan dancing together. Isobel came from a very wealthy Italian family and it would be a very good match both financially and physically. They made a stunning pair. "Yes, it would be a fine match. Their children would be magnificent," Georgia said as she swallowed hard at the thought of little Ewans running around everywhere.

"Children! I cannot imagine Ewan as a father." She shuddered. "If he treats them the way he treats me I'll feel sorry for those kids."

Georgia just gave a polite smile as she handed her back the paper.

"I stood-up to Ewan last night and told him that I thought he was unnecessarily harsh on you and he said he would apologize today. Then he said he trusted my choice in James. Isn't that wonderful?"

Georgia doubted that the conversation was as simple as that but she put on her best smile and told Diana that it was wonderful.

The next hour was spent going over Diana's itinerary for the day and getting her ready.  She and Ewan had a fundraiser to attend the following weekend. It was a dress ball and would require both herself and Craig to attend since the event was being held in the country and both Diana and Ewan had been invited to stay the weekend, but there were a few things to finish before the trip to the country. 

Georgia hated these events because she was invariably put up in one of the musty attic rooms of an 18th century estate house and her allergies would take a beating from all of the mold.

After she and Diana had finished arranging last minute details she headed towards Ewan's rooms. Georgia stopped outside his door with a few minutes to spare so she took the time to return a few emails confirming appointments for Diana.  She was so engrossed in what she was doing she missed Molly's approach and by the time she realized she was there she had knocked on the door.

When Parks opened the door it was Molly who breezed through like she owned the room. "I caught this one hanging around in the hall eavesdropping Mr. Mailler."

Georgia bit her lip controlling the angry retort that rushed to her lips. The audacity of the woman was more than she could stand and Georgia was relieved when she looked over and saw Ewan's chair empty and noticed he wasn't even in the room. Normally, she would have been amused by the situation but she knew that Molly was upset at looking like a fool and would find some way to take it out on her. Georgia had no doubt that Molly was the type of personality that believed nothing was ever her fault and it was always someone else's.