Chapter 3

A week later, after a satisfying visit with her aunt, she walked into Diana Mailler's room, and Diana was in a sorry state.

In her normal business attire, Georgia was wearing a deep plum pencil skirt with a matching jacket, a white silk blouse underneath, and low black heels finished off the outfit. Her hair was drawn back into its normally neat chignon, and her thick black-rimmed glasses were perched on the end of her nose.

"Thank God you're back Georgia, I cannot stand him anymore. You have to talk to him. He's ruining everything." Diana had to be talking about Ewan.

It didn't strike her as odd or rude that Diana never asked her about her vacation or how her aunt was. It wasn't in her personality to show interest in other's lives.

"Tell me, I meet with him and Mr. Parks in an hour."

Diana threw herself on the bed. "You must stop taking these vacations. Things are so hard when you aren't here."

"Miss Diana, you know that I have to go home once a year for my visa. It's not that I want to. I have to."

"Well, this time it was alright at first because Ewan was gone, but then he returned, met James, and went through the roof. He says James only wants me for my money. Why does he always say that?"

Because it's true, Georgia thought silently, not saying anything aloud as Diana sobbed into her pillow.

Diana was Ewan's half-sister. His father remarried after the death of his mother, and Diana was the result. She was fifteen years his junior, and at twenty-four, she still had a lot to learn about life, never having had to live in the real world.

Realizing that she had better get the facts, she sat down and rubbed Diana's back. "Tell me about James," she soothed.

Diana sat up and threw her arms around Georgia. "You will talk to him, won't you? Besides Craig, you're the only person I know who isn't afraid of him."

Craig Parks was Ewan's personal assistant and had worked for him for ten years. Craig knew about everything that happened in Ewan's life, personal or not, but if he knew about her and Ewan, he had yet to let Georgia in on the fact.

Diana launched into a long romantic tale about how she had met James accidentally when his car had rear-ended hers at a party of some mutual friends. He had insisted on taking her out to lunch to make up for the fact, and they had spent almost every day together until Ewan's return a few days ago.

"He got to him. I know he did," Diana wailed, throwing herself into the pillows. "It was Craig. I know it was. He told Ewan."

Georgia didn't try to deny her accusation, knowing it was most likely true.

She spent the next twenty minutes calming Diana down before she had to leave for her daily meeting with Craig and Ewan. It was a meeting that they had every day, if they were all in residence, to go over schedules and make sure that Ewan knew exactly what was going on in the Mailers' world.

His father had long ago passed, but his stepmother had a villa in Spain that she rarely left, so keeping up with his sister was his job alone. If Diana ever met the right man and married him, it would be a relief to Ewan. She would no longer be his problem.

As Georgia made her way down the corridor towards Ewan's suite of rooms, she mentally prepared herself for the change she would encounter. The first time she had been hurt, but now, as long as she had time to prepare herself, she was able to keep it all business.

She rapped on the door and was bid to enter.

Her eyes were immediately drawn to Ewan's large presence behind his desk. Her heart skipped a beat as he looked up and noted her entrance, but there was nothing in his gaze other than mild curiosity.