Chapter Ten: Memory Loss

Jessica. I never really liked that name. It always brought back bad memories. Two years ago when I had recently got my driving permit, my dad had taken me for my first drive.

I still remember that day clearly even to this moment. I was driving along the road with my dad sitting beside me when suddenly a cat jumped out of no where, causing me to make a sharp turn.

I don't know how long the car was spinning until we came to a sudden stop with a loud thump.

"W-What did we hit?"

"I don't know," my dad exhaled. He opened the passenger door and walked out to the back. I slowly lifted my shaky hands to the door handle and followed after my dad.

My eyes widen when it landed on the motionless body lying a couple of feet behind the car.

My dad looked up frantically and shouted at me, "Call the ambulance!"

I wanted to turn back to the car to grab my phone but it was as if my legs were frozen and my feet were nailed to the ground. Eventually my dad pulled out his phone and dialed the ambulance.

My eyes never left her's. Her lifeless body, eyes closed, and a small hint of breathing left.

"Jessica Harris....." My dad had told me. "She's in the hospital.....but she's awake and will probably be discharged in a couple of weeks."

I don't know how long I had been staring at William until he started waving his hand in front of my face.

I swat his hand away and reached for his chin. I turned it left to right. Up and down but there was nothing. "Repeat that again?"

"I said I don't remember who I am...." He mumbled again.

"You're kidding," I laughed. That's not possible.

"I'm dead serious. All I remember is waking up in an old couple's cabin. They helped me and sent me here."

"But if you lost your memories how did you know to come here?"

"I didn't.....but there was one thing I do remember." He stated.

"And what is that?" I raised my brows.

"You." He smiled. I felt my heart leaped in my chest and bit the inside of my cheeks. "I remembered that there was a person I had to get back to.....and it's you, Jessica."

Wait. Jessica? "Hold up," I raised my hand. "First of all, my name is Emery. Not Jessica."
I put emphasis on Jessica. "And second of all, what do you mean you remember you had to get back to her?"

"I don't know.....I don't remember." He looked down at his hands and sighed. "I remember you....I remember seeing you crying and I remember the name Jessica. I just thought you might be Jessica because your face was the only face I remember."

"Wait, what do you mean you remembered me crying? I've never cried in front of you before." I stated.

"I don't know....."

"Stop saying I don't know!" I growled. "I know you don't know." He looked down again and I almost felt guilty for yelling at him.

"But I remembered it was dark with only a couple of circles behind you."

Circles?

"We should get you to the hospital,"

"No!" He suddenly shouted. "I-I don't like hospitals..." He blushed and made eye contact with me. "It feels weird everytime I'm in a hospital."

"Then at least go to the police station.....they'll know where your family is."

He nodded then looked up at me. "Why are you helping me?"

Because you have the same eyes. "Because we're friends,"

"While we wait for your guardian why don't we go over your life." I stated.

"Okay," he nodded, pulling his legs and crossing it on the chair.

We were currently sitting in the corner of the police station waiting for his guardian to pick him up. His name was Richardson, 19 years old and a night club manager.

Weird how the police knows everything about one person.

"Okay, so your name is William. William Johnson. You go to East Field High with me. And this Jessica girl you're talking about is my stepsister."

"Stepsister?"

"Yeah, you guys have a weird, secret relationship or whatever. I honestly don't know."

"What kind of relationship?"

"I don't know....I mean I caught you two hugging and kis-" I paused and bit my bottom lip. Maybe I shouldn't say it. They were probably keeping it a secret.

I felt a small nagging feeling in my chest and I brushed it off as I heard someone shouting William's name.

"Will!" We both turned our heads towards the entrance. My eyes widen when I realized who it was. "Thank god you're okay! Do you know how worried I was-" he suddenly stopped when his eyes landed on me.

I stood up and looked down at his chest to avoid making eye contact.

"Emery? W-What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Well....uhm...." William must've noticed my discomfort so he stood up and grabbed my shoulder so I was facing him.

"Who is he?" He whispered.

"T-That's-"

"I'm your older brother," Jared interjected. He was glaring at William's hands that were still on my shoulders. "Why are you acting like this, Will?"

"He uhm.....lost his memories....." I mumbled.

"What?" His eyes widen. "You're kidding!" That's exactly what I thought at first too. "What the hell happened?"

"I don't remember but all I remember is Emery's face and the name Jessica."

"You're still calling her Jessica?" Jared shook his head. "Even after you lost your memories...." He mumbled to himself.

"Wait....if you're William's brother....then who's Richardson?" I asked.

"I...." Jared blushed and rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "Promise you won't laugh?"

I scrunched my brows in confusion but quickly nodded before he decided to change his mind.

"Well.....my real name is actually Richardson." He mumbled.

"What?" I chuckled. "Seriously?"

"You said you wouldn't laugh!" He whined like a little five years old.

"I'm not!" I totally am.

"Richardson makes me sound old so people call me by my middle name, Jared."

I smirked. I'm gonna call him that from now on just to make fun of him. Wait! From now on? So we're meeting again? I smiled and pressed my lips together from squealing out loud.

"I already know what you're thinking....." Jared sighed, face palming himself.

I giggled. "Good,"

"Hello guys! I'm here too...." William interrupted our mini stare.

"Anyways....." Jared coughed. "We should go home. I'll take care of him you should go home too, Emery."

I nodded. "Y-Yeah....I'll see you at school." I waved at William. He nodded so I turned around to leave. I was making my way towards the doors when I felt myself being pulled back into a hard chest.

"Will....will I be able to see you again?" He murmured.

I felt a sense of déjà vu but ignored it as I felt my cheeks heating up and my heart pounding against my chest.

I smiled up at him and said, "Of course....I'm always here."