Chapter Four

Noise. I hadn’t realized how much I had missed it. I woke up every morning to the guys fighting over the last box of cereal or the last muffin. Or to who got first shower. And every evening I fell asleep to the sound of guns being shot in their video games. Or Danka reading out loud from some new book he had discovered.

                        I spent the daylight hours studying. I was still required to finish high-school.

 Something I fought vehemently about with Dr. Cather, and Mr. Vance. Telling them that my destiny very well could be to not finish high-school. They just laughed and sent me off to the worst place ever. School.

                        Rina and I shared the majority of our classes so we studied together and shared notes. I hadn’t liked her at all at first. She had seemed so fake and bubbly. But the more time we spent together the more I found her growing on me.

                        She talked a lot. More than anyone I had ever met. And she was lively and animated. And in looks we couldn’t be more different. Her features were strikingly European. The only thing we shared in common were high cheekbones and small jaws.

Where as I had was a mutt of mixtures. A deep golden tan contrasted with her shock white pale skin. You could trace all of her veins beneath her almost translucent skin if you had an urge too.

                        She was my opposite. And even though so far we had avoided heavy subjects of the past I felt an underlying bond with her. As if maybe she knew what it meant to lose everything that mattered to you. To be responsible for it.

                        We sat on my bed eating cookies we had stolen from the oven in my dorm. The boys burst in and we shoved the last chocolate chip pieces into our mouths. I swallowed mine as fast as possible wincing as it burnt my throat.

                        Oliver looked at us annoyed, “ You two get off of your a-”

                        “Language. Oliver we have talked about this. If you insist on barging into my room constantly than please respect the fact that I like a curse free environment.”

                        “You ate my freaking cookies. Go make more. Now.”

                        Rina sat up, “First off, you have no proof that it was us who ate your cookies. Second off, your delusional if you think we are gonna make cookies for you. If we make cookies for anybody it would be for ourselves.

Actually cookies sound really good right now, don’t they Alarice?” She winked at me before continuing, “I mean I can almost taste the warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies now.”

                        She got off my bed and pushed past the boys. “I think we should make some, Rice.”

                        “I must say I agree with you.” I smirked at the livid Oliver and sauntered off after her. When we got to the kitchenette we both smiled victoriously. “So… Are we really going to make cookies?”

                        “Of course! And then after eating a couple in front of Oliver, and making him beg, I guess he can eat some.” She smiled wickedly. She and Oliver, were a “were not a couple, but if we flirt or try to go out with other people we become angry and upset” couple.

                        I shook my head, a smile gracing my face and started to pull out the  breakable cookies that sat in our fridge. But Rina was appalled by the idea. “ No. Alarice, if we are going to make cookies together then we are going to do it the right way.”

                        I looked at her, “You mean the long and messy way?”

                        “Pretty much.” She began to pull out ingredients from all over the place. She knew the kitchen better than I did.

                                                               ********

Okay guys! I have updated several times today! And now before I update again I want at least ten votes! And ten comments!!! (: Thanks guys!