The Apple Tree

Prologue-

 One of my earliest memories is of my older brother telling me that even in fairytales bad, sometimes even horrible things happen. But how in the end the young fair -maiden always lives happily ever after. Now I am desperately wishing that were true. I am praying that my mind will erase the most recent of my memories, but is simply refuses to the seemingly simple task.

 I kept looking down at my hands which were raw from pawing my way out of the burning car onto the heated asphalt.

 I acutely aware of the fact that a middle aged, male police officer was stroking my hair soothingly; even though it is matted with crimson blood. The sound of the police sirens still rang in my ears.

I thought about my parents. I tried to remember their voices. My mom's high pitched laugh or my father's hoarse one.

My breath caught in my throat when I couldn't remember them. I bit down on my lip to hold back the tears that threatened to escape. I would hold in the tears until there I was alone. Until there was no one around the see just how quickly I could fall to pieces. No one around to see how breakable I actually was.

Preface-

I woke up screaming at the top of my lungs. I fought back the sobs that were choking me. A single tear escaped the corner of my eye. I brushed it away quickly.

Whether it was from the pain coming from holding back the sobs or from what was in my nightmare; I did not know. I gulped for air to restore what was no longer in my lungs.

Once I settled down I began to think hard about what was haunting my sleep. But all I could remember was the howling whisper of a wind that cackled as it twisted through out the silent world.