Chapter 12

Second Challenge: Tears

Harry and I sit in silence until he clears his throat. "I think we should both go to sleep now so that we can be prepared for a whole new day of acting, Adella."

"Yes, I suppose you're right." I sigh, not looking forward to tomorrow. It will rule out another person I love. I only hope I do not permanently break anyone's heart. I've had enough of that for a lifetime!

Harry and I both get up, and part, heading to our own rooms for the night, and I mentally prepare myself for the torture tomorrow will be.

<><><><>

I wake up and stretch and slide out of bed and pull on my uniform. I make the anti-seasickness potion for the Princess and open the door when a sleepy voice from behind me wishes me good luck for the day. I thank Faith and walk out the door.

I head out to the deck for an 'innocent' stroll, when I 'stumble' across Harry.

"Harry, dear! Good morning!" I greet him cheerfully, 'completely unaware' of his upcoming rejection.

"Adella, I wanted to tell you that I don't think we're right for each other..." He starts, playing his part perfectly.

"W-what do you mean? You love me! We're engaged!" I force myself to look shocked for the people eyeing us from across the ship.

"I'm calling it off. You're not good enough. You don't have the money, looks or connections I want."

"But yesterday you said that didn't matter to you! Social status was not important!"

"I slept on it and realized I was wrong. Anyways, goodbye Miss Harrison, I hope I never see your ugly, repulsive face again." Ouch. That hurt. He glared at me and then marched away. I force my face to crumple and then I sink to the floor.

I think of all the times someone has insulted me about my opinions. I think about John Cooper and how he told me I was a man and that God made a mistake and had meant for me to be a man and that he should kill me for being an 'abominable freak of nature'. All these thoughts get me mad and riled up.

Next I think about my parents and Clint and Clem. I think of my life with them and then the night that they died. The run down my face and suddenly I can stop them and I need to find a place to be alone because I took the whole acting sad thing a little too far.

I stand up and run blindly. My hair falls out of the neat bun I had made this morning. My brown hair flies in the wind and I reach the back of the boat and look down into the churning sea below. I'm not going to jump, but I remember the feeling of jumping all too well. Instead, I sink to the ground, bring my knees up to my chest and cry.

Soon enough, the Captain finds me. "Miss Harrison? Are you alright?" When I don't respond, he tries again. "Adella, what's the matter? What's wrong? What did the knight do to you?" I shake my head indicating I don't want to talk about it. "Talk to me, love. I'm here for you even if that knave isn't."

"He broke off the engagement." I state quietly.

"He did not! Of all the blithering idiots! Bloody hell, Adella!" He sits down next to me enraged. "I would never do that to a lady! Did you do anything?"

"No. He said, I'm calling it off. You're not good enough. You don't have the money, looks or connections I want." I directly copy his words.

"Goddamn him. I'd like to kick his sorry arse off my ship! Of all the stupid things to do. Adela, you know I love you, yes? You know I'll still have you know matter how 'ruined' or 'damaged' you are?"