Chapter 1

Chapter One

I sat there, in the waiting room, waiting. I watched the grandfather clock tick it's way over to the next minute. And the next. And the next. God, this is ANNOYING!! I can't believe it would take an hour for my boss to tell me if I got the job or not. Ugh. I tap my fingers rythmically on the armrest of the hard, green chair.

Just then I heard a loud "WHAT??" coming from my bosses office. Then I heard loud footsteps approaching the door. Mr Shaw came out, scowling. His face brightened when he saw me.

"Miss Harrison. How lovely to see you here. I just found out that you had been here since 8:00 and that now it is 9:00. I'm terribly sorry."

"That's alright, sir." I reply. "I just wanted to know if I got the job?" I was applying to be a nurse on a boat that sailed along the coast of England. It was only for nobility and it was considered a luxury to be on it. The job I was applying for was particular because girls my age did NOT get jobs. They sat at home embroidering or some such nonsense, waiting for a husband to take them away. That was not for me. I was an independent young woman with no family to tell me what to do. And Mr. Shaw knew it.

"Ah, yes. You did, Miss Harrison. Welcome aboard the 'Charlotte.' " He took my hand and shook it, just as if I was a boy. I reveled in the feeling. "Are you sure about this, Miss Harrison? It's never too late to say no!"

"I'm sure, sir. Thank you."

"They ship leaves tomorrow morning at 8:00 sharp. You must be there at 5:30 to prepare. Goodbye, Miss Harrison."

"Goodbye, sir." I leave the building as a smile takes over my face. Back onto the road, I walk down to the house I own with my best friend and her husband. A hand rests on my shoulder as I turn down the lane.

"Well, well! Why are we so happy this gloomy evening?" The voice said behind me.

"AHHH! Harrison! God! What is wrong with you?" I spun around to face my best friend's brother, who is also a friend.

"Wrong with ME??? I think you mean YOU. You rarely skip down the street!" He finished with a grin.

"No matter. I GOT THE JOB!!!!!"

"YOU ARE AMAZING, DELL!" My name is actually Adella, but Harison insists it's too long. And then when I tried to shorten his name, he scoffed saying that if I could manage it as my last name, I could manage it as his first name.

"Thanks, Harrison. Would you like to come back to my place?"

"Sure. I'd love to." He offered his arm and I gladly accepted.

When we got to my house and unlocked the front door only to discover that no one was home. I offered Harrison a seat and brought him a mug of beer. He took it and swallowed it all as I sat down. He suddenly got up and started pacing.

"Harrison, are you all right?"

"Yes, yes. I'm fine dear. But I was wondering..." He trailed off, his sentence hanging in the air between us.

"What is it?"

"Adella Harrison. Will you marry me?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hello!

This is my first story, so please don't judge! I would love feedback, but if you don't want to comment, don't feel you have to, I'm not gonna tell anyone what to do! :)

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Eve.