Chapter 5 - The Appointment

• Dedicated to Talia Castellano

 My Unplanned Little Miracle (MULM);  

Chapter 5 - The Appointment

I look in the mirror, making sure I did my makeup just right - If I'm going to do this, I have to do this right.

I used my pale white liquid foundation that I haven't used since middle school, trying to make myself look as pale as I can without looking like a vampire.

Now I just have to act sick, I think to myself. Which won't be too hard, considering the fact that I've thrown up three times this morning.

Once I'm finally satisfied with how I look, I splash a little bit of water on my forehead, as if to make it look like I were sweating from a feaver.

I force coughs and sniffs out of me as I walk downstairs to the kitchen where my mom is cooking breakfast.

"Mom?" I ask weakley, squinting my eyes a little.

"Yes, sweetie?" My mom turns to look at me, "Oh goodness! Are you alright?"

I nod slowly, putting a hand to my head. "I-I think I'm coming down with the stomach flu? Can you make me an appointment?"

This was the only way I could think of, to make sure. To make sure I'm really pregnant. I chickened out last night, I just couldn't bring it out of my mouth to tell them, and besides, the stomach flu was the only thing I could think of, because of my throwing up and all.

She looks at me carefully, and for a moment my heart stops, and I'm about to give it all up and admit that I'm faking sick.

"Yes, of course. Now go back to bed, I'll make you some soup." The words die in my mouth before I can say them, and I let out a breath of relief before I nod, walking out of the kitchen.

Of course, I have to walk right in to Dakota, and her eyes narrow at me, taking in my pale face and water on my forehead. I cast my eyes down and squint them a little, making them droopy as if I were tired.

"What's wrong with you?" She sneers, reaching a hand up to stop me.

"I'm sick." I make my voice week and try to make it sound stuffy. I try not to look at her, because I know if I do, she'll know I'm faking.

She doesn't say anything else, just drops her hand and I step aside to let her through the kitchen door. Once she leaves, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in, before I walk up the stairs and to my room.

I can distinctly hear my mom dialing the doctor's office, and before I know it she opens the door and sits on the edge of my bed.

"How are you feeling?" She asks, putting a hand on my forehead.

I shrug, "I'm cold and I think it's getting worse," I lie easily. "Did you make the appointment?"

She nods, "yes  I did, but is there a way you can have a friend bring you there? I have work in an hour, and I assume you're not going to school today?"

I almost jump out of bed and scream and twirl around. This is way easier than I thought! I was expecting me to have to meet Dawson there, and force my mom to go do something else and pick me up after the appointment.

Trying to keep my excitment down, I nod. "I don't think I can go to school today eaither, I'm just so week. I'll just text someone to take me, I guess."

"Alright, sorry I couldn't take you. Call me when you're done so I can know what virus you have."

I almost flinch away from her, immediatly feeling guilty for lying. Sure, I don't exactly have the "best" parents, but I still love them, and they're the ones paying for this right now, and I can hardly stand lying to them.