Chapter 16

Gavin felt it when Rimmon planted his hand on the Angel's mark. He knew it should have hurt him as much as it did them. But because that damn Coyote was around, it felt it only as a deep ache in his core. A sense of something horribly wrong and being powerless to stop it. Everyone at the table looked at him though, so he knew he hadn't been entirely successful at hiding his reaction.

"Ah, sorry about that. What did you just say?" Gavin tried to move past whatever it was he did to give himself away.

"What is it?" Gabriel asked at the same time Coyote said, "Do you feel that?" Only poor Belle had no clue something very bad was happening right now.

Gavin knew, as if he had been there, overhearing their conversation. "It attacked them. The Twisted went after Lone and Rimmon. They learned that there is a Descended creature acting as it's holder, that's why you couldn't follow it Gabriel. Master summoned it home, it didn't jump it's own trail. And now he's taking her there." the words were wooden, his mouth full of the taste of ash as he realized it. Rimmon, that bastard, was taking her away.

"What's Rimmon doing here and why haven't you mentioned his involvement before?" Gabriel's voice was low and suspicious.

"Because greater forces haven't allowed him to." Coyote replied in his stead.

Belle looked hurt and horribly confused, she knew they were all talking about something she had no clue of, and it involved her friend. But they were refusing to fill her in. "What is going on here?" Belle demanded, sounding upset.

Gavin opened his mouth to reply when Gabriel took the options away from him. "Human, this is none of your concern. But so we don't have to sit through your inane catching up process, I'll make an allowance and give you a brief instruction. I am Arc Angel Gabriel. This is Guardian Angel Gavin, and he is a Neutral, Dumb Coyote. Your friend Lone is a marked soul, and it's our fault. Gavin here was supposed to find her and ensure that she was set back onto the path of righteousness, protect her from darker forces. Apparently that's not what has happened."

Gavin wanted to smack his head against the table repeatedly. The very thing Lone hadn't wanted, Gabriel had just gone and done. Dragged Belle into this world. Just great. "It's complicated Gabriel. That thing came along. After that, it was more important to figure out and contain that thing than repelling the Demon Rimmon."

Belle raised her hand, face pale. Coyote smiled at her, laying and comforting hand over hers on the table. "Rimmon's a demon? D-d-demons and angels are real?" she sounded close to tears. Gavin felt bad, and almost obligated to comfort her. But for some reason the Arc Angel beat him to it.

Gabriel scooped Belle right out of her chair and set the blonde on his lap, hugging her to him. Gavin looked at Coyote, knowing his own eyebrows were raised in shock. The Arc was acting strangely, he never ever acted compassionately normally. Earlier his condescending tone had been just about the kindest Gavin had ever seen him be to a human, now this. It was almost as if the Arc were smitten with the mortal. Gavin was surprised that a bell didn't ring out as he finally caught on to himself. If Gavin could have fallen in love with Lone, it's not impossible to believe the Arc was just struck with cupid's bow as well. It wasn't supposed to happen. But that didn't mean it couldn't. It seemed poor Belle was just fated to be as neck deep in this as Lone is.

Thinking of her, Gavin could feel a faint echo from the woman whom held a piece of his soul. She was scared and excited at the same time and it made him sick to realize she was enjoying herself around Rimmon. The Demon had touched an Angel's mark, the thought made Gavin smirk as he realized how much pain the Demon must be in now. They were always warned about it, to never touch a mark you didn't make yourself. They defend themselves with vengeance. It must have been dire indeed to force the Demon to willingly endure that kind of agony, the thought was enough to make the smirk fall away.