Chapter 15

Gavin hid his snarl with a charming smile, looking down at the besotted human who flirted with him in shameless abandon. Belle was a good girl, even though she was an escort. And given any other situation and he would have gladly spent the day in her company, relaxing and pretending to be as mortal as these innocent fools. The thing was that the Angel was very much wishing he was back with Lone, staking his claim on her soul so that damn Demon Rimmon would leave her alone.

To make matters even worse, the Guardian Angel couldn't feel any hint of that thing that had attacked him. Whatever it was, the creature was not hunting his trail. Gavin fretted, hand thumbing the phoen in his pocket for the umpteenth time. He wanted nothing more than to call and warn Lone that he believed the thing was coming after her. But his promise this morning held him in place, he had told Lone he wouldn't pressure her. That included hounding her via text. The sick feeling in his gut was probably nothing more than nerves, the Angel assured himself, unaware that at the very same time Rimmon was doing his best to seduce the woman bound to them both.

When his phone vibrated in his palm, Gavin nearly cursed and threw it from his grip, for a moment believing it to be a threat. But he pulled the phone out, checking to see that he had a message from Gabriel.

On your level. Saw your monster. We need to confer NOW. Blue Moon Cafe in twenty minutes.

Gavin stared at the phone in shock, not sure whether he was relieved or terrified that the Arc Angel had broken his own rule and come to the physical plane. Gavin knew that the Arc would only come here if the situation was seriously f***ing dire.

"What's wrong?" Belle asked Gavin, seeing some of the consternation in her 'boyfriend's' eyes.

Gavin blinked and looked down at her, smiling to cover his earlier reaction. "Ah.....an old friend is in town and wants to meet up with me. I kind of owe him a favour so I have to go. I'm really sorry Belle..." he trailed off as she looked hurt, thinknig he was blowing her off. "If you don't mind meeting a potentially unsavory sort, you could come with me." he heard himself suggesting and nearly kicked himself.

Belle smiled a beautiful, happy smile and Gavin felt guilty at bringing her farther into this world of his. Lone would be furious at him for it if nothing else, but the Guardian Angel had few options that didn't leave him in a worse position than he already had. He smiled at Belle and started to guide their meandering steps to the Blue Moon Cafe. It was one of the biggest coffee shops this city housed, and everyone knew it because the massive cafe acted as the point of reference for almost all directions.

Have a mortal with me. Still in the dark, thinks I'm a con. Can't shake, part of cover. Told her you were a con too.

Gavin gave the Arc Angel a heads up, knowing that the lies would irritate the Arc but knowing that to surprise him with the news would be even worse. The Guardian Angel was steeling himself mentally for the no doubt gruelling task of trying to talk to Gabriel, all the while making it so that the human-in-the-dark stays in the dark.

As the duo walked into Blue Moon Cafe, Gavin felt his otherworldly nature settle away. That human neutral was around. Sure enough, Coyote was sitting next to the scowling Gabriel and Gavin hid a smirk. The Arc Angel was definitely regretting coming to the mortal plane, especially with the Neutral around. Though as he was a stronger Angel, Gabriel actually managed to retain some of his otherliness, yet Gavin was relieved to see that he looked like an ordinary mortal. Gabriel hadn't been Earthbound in a long time, but rumours still lingered over the last time he'd come down. Subtle wasn't a word ever used to describe the event.

"Belle, I would like to introduce you to Gabriel, and I think you already know Coyote." Gavin said politely, frowning softly at the other Angel.

Gabriel was staring at Belle as if he'd been whacked up the back of the head with a cement truck. The words Gavin said, Coyote standing from his seat to hug Belle, none of it registered. Gabriel just sat there, staring at the mortal woman like she was about to burst into song. Then the Arc Angel blinked and swallowed, face suddenly looking like he was bored and couldn't care less about anything. Gavin was more than a little confused and terribly frustrated by it all.