PROLOGUE

I slipped into a crevice, melting into the dark, thanking god that my small size was finally of some use.  Footsteps came closer and then faded.  I sighed with relief, they didn’t see me.  I couldn’t get caught, I had to return.  Everyone I cared about needed me, or maybe I needed them.  Either way, I couldn’t let anything happen to me, not until I saw they were safe. 

 I crept down the hallway, bouncing quietly on my toes, sticking to the shadows as much as possible.   I wasn’t stealthy enough.  Rough hands grabbed me from behind, wrapping around my throat.  I scratched at the hands to no use.  I couldn’t die, I had to see him again, his loving eyes, his warm arms, I ached for him. 

My head ached, my vision darkened, and my arms fell to my sides.  As my consciousness faded, memories came back.  Memories from before all the crazy I didn’t believe in was unleashed.  Memories of the old me.

I WAS just me. I wasn’t rich, or sassy, or popular, or strong, or exceptionally smart.  I was normal, average, ordinary.  If I had left when I had the chance and forgot everything, would it all go back to the way it was?  Would I?  But that wasn’t an option.  I would rather live like this, knowing what I know, having seen what I seen, having felt what I felt than return to my lonely, average, little one person universe.  I would rather live in the crazy, messed up, illogical world, as long as she could be with him.