Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

I was glad I managed to hold in my tears when my mother left.  It was a close call, but my mother was reluctant to leave, me crying might have made her change her mind about her new career path.  Once the dust from her car settled though I was sobbing on the floor holding onto Keno.  This would be the longest time me and my mother would be apart. I knew it was babyish but my mother was the person I felt closest to in the world.

I didn't want to do to school with red eyes so I made myself stop and get up and get ready.

“Keno, be a good boy today!  I’ll see you after school.”

 I let Keno out in the back yard and head out to school.   I felt spacey today and I already couldn’t wait for school to be over.

……………………..

I arrive at school only a tad early this time.  I barely register anything as I get out and head towards the building.  I start going over how lonely my nights are going to be from now on and it takes a physical touch to break me out of my thoughts.

Tristan’s warm hand on my shoulder has me stopping and turning towards him.

“Rosie, your deaf or something!  I called you like 10 times.”

I blush, embarrassed and slightly ashamed i got so wrapped up in my own head. “Oh, Oh, Im so sorry, Tristan!”

“No big deal, but you okay? You seemed upset.”  He leaned a bit closer “Have you been crying?” He asked alarmed.

“NO!” I l blurt out.  How mortifying to practically have a sign on your forehead that says ‘I’m a baby.’

“Rosie, If there something wrong you can tell me.  Is it that guy again?” Tristan’s very serious, and it touches me deeply that he is sincerely offering he ear.  

I hesitate. Normally the only person i share my feeling with is my mom.  But, She’s not here for now, and it would be nice to have another person to talk to while she away.

“Um… My Mom.. She left for her new job today!”

“She got a new job?  Isn’t That good?” Tristan looks puzzled.

“Yeah, It is.  It s great job doing something she loves but she has to travel.  She just left this morning for a couple of weeks.”

“Oh!  That rough! I know you guys are really close.”

“Yeah, we are.”

“And now you gonna be all alone.”

“Yeah”

“Just you in your house”

“Yeah..”  Wasn’t talking to someone supposed to make me feel better.

“In a house at a dead end.”

“Um… “

“That settles it!” Tristan says with conviction. “We will just have to hang out more.”

I can’t help but to smile and to laugh at his cheesiness.

“YES!” He punches the air.  “I got you to laugh.”

I laugh harder and we start heading towards school.

“So..” Tristan starts off more seriously. “I have to ask…  You and Alec yesterday seemed close.”

Me and Alec.  Me and Alec together in a sentence made me feel.. weird.  Tristan be the one to use me and Alec together in a sentence felt even weirder.