Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE

I came into consciousness before I felt able to open my eyes.  The first thing I noticed was the murmured voices.  They sounded like they were in another room, only separated by a door or even a thin wall.

I focused on the voices to keep me from going back down in the dark.

“This is a very serious situation Mr. and Mrs. Trenton! Another boy shifted in the parking lot, a young girl is hurt, and your son is right in the middle of it.” this voice was furious.

“I am so, so sorry.” That sounded like Alec? maybe? It was still fuzzy.

“Mr. Trenton, another student has come forward that witnessed the event. He gave me his account, but i wish to hear yours.”

“Um.. Um .. Yeah”  Alec cleared his throat.  He sounded hoarse, like he’d been crying? “I was walking to the bottom parking lots to try to see Rosie before school started.  I saw Tristan towering over her, too close! His hand was on her face, like her was.. I don’t know.  It poked like he was hurting her or making her do something. I got upset and I went over there to get him off her.  I pushed him away but Rosie got pushed too.  And oh, God ! She went down and hit her head.  You could hear it! And then she saw two of me!  And She’s hurt and this is because of me!”

“Baby, This girl is she..?” A feminine voice spoke up.

“Libby, not now” A deep male voice responded. “Alec, go on.”

“Tristan was mad and he changed.  Then coach showed up and here we are.”

“The Briggs boy didn’t try to kill you after he changed?” The deep voice showed up again.

“Henry!” Libby gasped.

“No! no, but he should have. I deserve it.”

The talking continue but the blackness tried to pull me under again.  When I fought it back there was new voices.

“What were you thinking?” That voice sounded familiar, but I couldn’t place it.

“Jeffery, not right now. Tristan are you okay?”  I know that was Laura, Tristan’s mom.  The other voice must have been his dad.

“I’m not hurt, don’t worry there were no … outsiders around.  The trees covered me.”

“You were lucky, son! Humans don’t make up a big part of the population here but they are still here.”  

Humans?

“I know”  Tristan sounded so .. defeated.

Another door open “Principal Burns, What do we make of this situation?” Hanna asked.

“Two boys nearly fought on neutral territory, one of them shifted and tried to maul the other, and a tiny girl is laying unconscious in the next room.  This is one of the worst situations I have seen since the 30 years I have been in education.” Principal Burns sounded angry, very, very angry. “I could expel you and Mr. Trenton for this, Mr. Briggs.  However…  when I spoke to one of the witnesses a Red Dunning, He said it was entirely you fault and that you attacked Alec without provacation in front of a human girl.”

“Red Dunning hates my guts he’d say anything to get me out of this school!”

“That seems to be true.  Mr. Trenton has given me his side of events that dramatically differ from Mr. Dunning’s. So now, I ask for you explanations of the events.”

“Me and Rosie were just talking and heading to school from out parking spots and Alec came up all of a sudden fuming about something and pushed me-“