Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“How do you think you did on the test?” Amelia asked Eric as they sat around the living room of his house along with Lena that afternoon. Their moms were in the kitchen catching up and cooking dinner along with a bottle of wine. Anthony hadn’t arrived yet, his mother wasn’t even sure if he’d make it.

“It was easier to understand but I don’t know until tomorrow.” He answered honestly while surfing the guide on the TV.

Mel grew hopeful of seeing Anthony when the front door opened but instead it was Andy, Lena’s boyfriend and Eric’s friend. She wished she had known he’d be invited so then she could find some way to stay home. She couldn’t stand the guy.

He liked to relish in her bad mood and that evening had been no different. Andy sat next to her on the couch. “Wow you amongst the living; this must be a special day for the Ice Queen to grace us with her darkness.”

Mel didn’t see her sister’s appeal in the guy. He was a little on the short side compared to Eric and Anthony, he was good looking in that all American generic way. Eric was far better in every department in her opinion. She didn’t understand why her sister didn’t dump Andy and tell Eric the truth about her feelings. They’d make a good couple.

She kept her eyes on the TV as she spoke. “We’re not at school where I can get in any trouble. Keep pressing me and I will hurt you.”

“Leave him alone.” Lena said right on time to defend her boyfriend.

“Gladly.” With a scoff she got off the couch and walked outside where the air wasn’t as tense. Those few short minutes with Andy made her feel like they were back at school where she couldn’t feel comfortable in her own skin because everyone saw it as weird and wrong, where she couldn’t feel safe in her own head because of the memories that haunted her there.

Zander used to say guys like Andy that seemed to have it all but crapped on others were the most miserable of the bunch and had to be mean to feel any self worth.

“I miss you so much.” She whispered into the stillness of the night.

The front door of the Marcetti residence opened and Lena spoke. “Mom is looking for you.”

She pushed down her memories and emotions and headed back inside where she went straight to the kitchen.

Dana Lowell was laughing at something as she set her wine glass down. She looked at her daughter and frowned. “Are you doing ok?”

Mel pushed a smile past her lips. “Yeah, what’s happening in here?” she couldn’t let her mom know she was having a bad day, from her fight with Lena to missing Zander, or else she’d suggest she go back to the therapist.   

“We’re cooking,” Theresa answered. “what are we cooking?” she asked her friend while glancing at the stove. It was obvious they spent most of the time chatting and drinking.

It was nice to see her mom having a good time, those were rare since her father passed years ago, it was high time she found a friend to hang out with.

“It looks like some chicken parm.” Mel answered after taking a peak in the oven. She took a seat, deciding it was better to hang out with the moms rather then the cool kids in the living room.

Half hour later they all came together to eat. Anthony never showed, he probably got caught up with a project or simply forgot. His mom didn’t seem too concerned; no one did or missed his presence except for Mel who wished more then anything that he was there on her side.

She was glad when it was all over and they were back home. She mumbled goodnight to her mother and headed upstairs before the car engine had a chance to shut off.

She hated how depressed she felt, her happiness couldn’t depend on if she saw Anthony or not. She wasn’t in some fantasy, she knew all good things came to an end and one day so would her friendship with Anthony. She had to keep reminding herself of that and everything would be alright.

With that thought close to her mind she refused to consider Anthony at all the next day. She stuck to her normal routine and went straight home after school and spent the evening helping her mother pack orders.

“You know honey I wasn’t sure about letting stop your sessions with Dr. Morgan but I have to say I’m glad I was wrong.” Her mother said while cutting shipping labels. “You have been a lot more social, well you’re not running out to parties with your sister but at least we’re talking.”

“I could be completely normal and I still wouldn’t be running out to parties. I can’t stand those people, no offense to Lena.”

“You are normal, a lot of people are anti social but you suffered a loss and have to learn to cope with it.”

Mel stopped her task and looked at her mother with a sense of relief she finally accepted that Zander’s death was a serious blow to her heart. “Thanks for saying that and not ranting about how I was too young and shouldn’t still be upset over it.”

“I might say it wrong but sweetie I don’t want to devalue your feelings. I just don’t want to lose you. You’re still alive and you should live your life.”

“There’s something I have to tell you; the reason why I’ve been making more of an effort to be around.” She had to tell her, her mother deserved to know the truth and now seemed like the best time if there was ever one.

“You told me you have a new friend.”

“Yeah but it’s not a girl from school like you think. It’s Eric’s brother.”

Her hands stilled and she looked up. “I don’t understand.”

“Anthony Marcetti is the person I’ve been hanging out with. He’s a friend and a damn good one to me. We have a lot in common and he makes me forget Zander for awhile.” That truth wasn’t easy to admit, Zander would always be in her heart but these days his memory wasn’t painful with regret. “Lena hates the whole thing and has been giving me a lot of flack about it. Please don’t do the same thing.”

Her mother remained silent and that wasn’t a good sign. “He’s much older than you.”

“It’s four years and like I said we’re just friends.” Amelia was being honest; she and Anthony were just friends at the moment. She didn’t know if that would change but she sure hoped it did.

“Mel I don’t want you basing your happiness on someone again and then fall apart when it’s over.”

“It wasn’t a break up or he moved away, Zander died and he was my best friend. I know it doesn’t seem like it but I am stronger than that. He was ripped away and we never got the chance to grow up together, it leaves a lot unresolved and I agree I don’t handle it right.” She took a deep shaky breath as tears stung her eyes. “Please tell me you’re ok with this enough that you won’t try to stop me from seeing him.”

“Like I said I’m so glad to see you coming out of your shell. We’ll play it by ear and if things continue the way they have been then I don’t have a problem with you being friends with Anthony. Just friends.