Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“Your sister is driving me crazy.” Eric said as he sat with Lena in his bedroom that Sunday.

“She has that affect on people but you need her help to stay in the game. You can handle being annoyed for a little while longer.” She answered simply while flipping through a magazine.

Eric groaned, running a hand through his hair. “That’s not what I meant.”

Lena looked up and saw the torment on his face. “What?!” she shrieked.

Eric winced as her voice made his ears ring but he continued, he needed to talk to someone and get some advice. “I almost kissed her and I regret that I didn’t.” it was crazy, he knew that but it didn’t change the fact he couldn’t get her out of his mind; the color of her eyes, the way her body felt against his, the sound of her laugh all haunted him. He didn’t want to be that guy who kissed his brother’s girlfriend but they both insisted nothing was happening. So she was fair game, right? Then why did he feel so guilty and low? “Tony really likes her and she likes him.” That had been crystal clear yesterday.

“I need to get my sister away from the both of you.” Lena said while shaking her head back and forth.

“You don’t think I’m good enough for her?”

“It’s not that, it would be really weird and Mel doesn’t like you that way. I hate it but she likes Tony. It was much easier when she stayed away from guys. Ok so obviously you have to forget about my sister and she can’t know you wanted to kiss her. Why don’t you call Sharon and go out?”

Eric noted the fact Lena was freaking out because he was putting her in a bad spot, putting her in the middle as Mel’s sister. “Going out with different girls isn’t going to help any. It just gets me into trouble.”

“Right, you should be studying for the upcoming test and practice for the game.” Lena said with a stern nod, liking her second plan much better.

“Forget I said anything, it’s stupid. This happens when people spend too much time together. I’ve known you for years and never noticed Mel before. It’ll pass.” He had been telling himself that same thing all day and still wasn’t convinced. The fact of the matter was; over the last week he’s gotten to see the real Mel Lowell, the true person hidden behind her sarcastic remarks and the cap she covered her eyes with. She was smart, funny, beautiful in her own way and fun to be around.

“Right. I can find another tutor.”

“No it’s just another week and then I won’t see her anymore.” He had a test Tuesday and that would secure his position in the game and then there was a test next Monday Mel agreed to help him with.

“Ok now that, that’s out of the way let’s get out of here.”

~*~

 Mel didn’t want to run to Anthony’s even though the urge was strong. She liked how she felt around him. But not wanting to seem eager and clingy she stayed home and helped her mother finish cleaning the garage. They finished around lunch time and agreed to share a pizza.

“I like spending time with you like this.” Her mom smiled it was full of pure joy. “I’m not always the bad guy.”

“You’re not, you’re wonderful but there are times you close your mind off and refuse to take in what I feel.” She sighed and chose not to bring up Zander, she knew there was no possible why her mother could ever see her side about him and right now she didn’t want to fight but maybe there was something she’d be willing to ease up on. “I don’t want to go see Dr. Morgan on Wednesday.” It seemed like the best opening to bring up her therapist appointment.