Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Amelia had forgotten Lena agreed on her behalf to stay for dinner. She met Mrs. Marcetti and took an instant liking to her, she was polite and nice, grateful that Mel was helping her son pass his chemistry test.  Mrs. Marcetti went to the kitchen to start her famous meatballs and pasta while they continued to study.

“My brain is about to explode.” Eric laid out on the floor and stretched out his legs.

“Two more pages and we’re done with this chapter.” Mel pointed out.

From under the coffee table he pulled at her ankle. “Have mercy on me.”

“Come on Mel,” Lena chimed in from the sofa. “Leave it for next time.”

“It’s two pages, I could do two pages in my sleep. Fine we’ll stop. I gotta use the bathroom.”

Eric quickly sat up, shooting upright. “No you’re right, it’s just two pages.” He gave her the same look from earlier, the one that said he knew she was going to see Anthony.

“I still got to pee.” She gave him a narrow eyed glare. She really did have to use the bathroom, yes she did continue to think about Anthony but she didn’t want to hear it from Lena if she caught them. She climbed the stairs and went to the bathroom; the first door on the left, Anthony was the second. She walked into the bathroom that had yellow and green towels making up the color scheme. When she was done she lost her battle with common space and peaked into Anthony’s room. He was asleep; she took it as a sign from god and went back downstairs.

“Two pages all done.” Eric announced. Lena was gone; she must’ve been talking to Andy whom she liked to flirt with in private.

“Did you understand it?” Mel asked, sitting on the floor again.

“Pretty much, we can go over it again next time. Right now I have to exit Geekville, no offense.” Eric leaned forward and turned on the TV and powered on the Playstation.

“No offense taken if you let me play with you.”

Eric did a double take. “You like video games?”

“I play a lot of online ones.” It was her favorite pastime when she needed to escape reality, she loved RPG ones the most. “What, the girls you know don’t like games?”

Eric laughed, his hazel eyes bight from the amusement. “Here.” He handed her the second controller. “Let’s race.”

It didn’t take long for Mel’s competitive side to appear. When she lost the first round it was time to get serious. She took her shoe lace off and used it to tie her long hair back so it’d stop getting in her face. She wanted to kick herself for leaving her cap at home. “Don’t get cocky Marcetti, I’m just warming up.”

“Right, I can take a nap by the time you catch up.” When she lost again she resorted to drastic measures, she pushed him and knocked the controller out of his hand. “I thought you don’t cheat!” he pointed out.

“I’m not!”

Eric laughed and paused the game, he was just now noticing that she took her shoelace off her worn out sneaker and put it in her hair. “You’re weird but not in a bad way. You should wear your hair back more.”

“Why?” again she missed her cap and the shadows it created, Eric was seeing too much.

“You have the prettiest eyes I’ve ever seen. Let’s play.” He unpaused the game and looked ahead, Eric Marcetti was embarrassed, his cheeks grew bright red.

“If you didn’t look ready to barf I’d say thank you but instead I’ll just win this round.”

“I don’t think so.” Playing dirty it was his turn to push her and block her view from the TV. “Told you.”