Chapter 11

Chapter 11

That Monday afternoon Amelia was stuck between responsibility and desire. She wanted to run right over to Anthony’s studio to help him with his latest project but she had promised Eric they’d study for his test tomorrow. In the end she honored her promise and hitched a ride with Lena to the Marcetti residence.

Like always they set up shop in the living room using the coffee table as their desk. Teresa offered them an invitation to stay for dinner before she left shopping.

“Sure we can stay.” Lena said to Eric.

“I don’t know.” Amelia opened the text books to the correct pages all along the table.

“Why? Mom won’t mind.”

“I have somewhere to be later.” She sighed and tried not to jump the gun and lash out at her sister. “I promised Anthony I’d help with his latest assignment.” She refused to lie anymore about their relationship; Lena was just going to have to deal with it. “You can stay and I’ll take the bus.”

Lena clenched her jaw. “I’m going to call Andy.” She stormed out of the house and slammed the door behind her on the way.

“At least she didn’t bitch and moan.” Mel thought it was a step up. She turned away from the door and noticed Eric’s expression. “Unless you’re going to do the bitching and moaning for her.” she wasn’t sure at times if Eric was completely willing to accept her friendship with Anthony.

He shook his head. “No this is me backing off like promised.” He reached for his homework and avoided any other subject.

Lena would come in, sit for a few minutes then leave out the front door again. It didn’t take a genius to see she didn’t want to play the civil game with her sister. Amelia didn’t care to try either; she was pretty used to her sister’s temper tantrums and knew eventually she’d get over it.

“How do you feel about tomorrow’s test? If you don’t ace it I will kick your ass. I’m not above it.” Mel’s threat rolled off her tongue easily as she adjusted her baseball cap.

Eric chuckled. “I believe you. Do you want a ride to my brother’s?”

She hadn’t expected that. “I think my sister will kill you.”

“She hasn’t come back inside for more then ten minutes. She left.” Eric explained as he stood from the floor. “Come on I want to get out of here anyway.” He extended his hand and helped her up.

“If she doesn’t kill you she’s gonna kill me.” Mel knew her sister would flip out if she knew Eric was helping her see Anthony.

“Not if she doesn’t know.”

They stopped in front of his car; she looked up into his hazel eyes. “Why are you doing this?”

He’s silent for a moment and looked past her shoulder rather then her face. Mel found it odd since she was the one that avoided eye contact at all costs and he was normally the confident smooth popular guy. “What are friends for?” he muttered before getting inside the car. He didn’t sound too happy about the fact but any friend was a good friend in Amelia’s case, she shrugged and followed his lead.

The car ride was silent of any conversation, only the radio played to pass the time.

“Are you ok?” she asked some time later. “It’s weird when I’m not the social mute.”

“Oh sorry, I was just thinking.” He ran his left hand through his hair.

“About? The test, a girl, some STD you haven’t been able to wrap your mind around?” He laughed and she knew whatever funk he was in was over. “Seriously I can keep a secret like nobody else.”

“You should considering you’re one big secret.”

She wanted to ask what he meant by that but the next thing she knew they were parked in front of Anthony’s studio and she let the conversation fall away.  They went up to his place together.

Anthony kissed her cheek hello and turned to his brother. “What are you doing here?” he asked curiously rather then annoyed.

“Mel needed a ride and I had nothing better to do.” He walked over to the couch and flopped down, he wasn’t leaving any time soon. “What project do you need help on?”

“I got until next week to get it done. How’s mom doing?”

Amelia stood back as the brothers talked; she thought it was nice to see them having a civil conversation without any teasing or anger. She was a little envious, it didn’t matter what the situation she and Lena could never have a decent talk without it turning into something tense and ugly.

Eric’s cellphone rang; he pulled it from his pocket and looked at the screen. “It’s Lena.”

“Don’t tell her you gave me a ride. Save yourself from her screeching.” Mel advised.

“I’ll call her back. I have to get back home; I’ll see you guys later.” Eric said his goodbyes and offered her a ride home later if she needed one.

Anthony shut the door and sighed. “Finally. I love the kid but he can’t catch a hint to save his life.”

“He’s been really nice to me, a real friend so you’re going to have to share my awesomeness.” Mel teased as she sat on the same spot Eric had been in.

“I don’t care if you’re friends, that’s actually pretty cool but I will kick his ass if he tries to make a move on you.”

“I don’t think it’s like that. Your brother is hot; he can have any girl in this city and ones that aren’t weird and he’d have to defend every other minute. Don’t make that face, you’re hot too. He’s a friend that’s it.” The whole conversation felt funny, last week she didn’t have this problem, last week she went days without speaking to another person and she was completely locked away inside her head and its memories.

“And what am I?” he took her hand.

Amelia stared down at their intertwined fingers and gave that some serious thought. Anthony was a friend but it was nothing like the friendship she had with Eric. With Anthony it was intense, sexual and meant the world to her. He reminded her of the safe place she used to have with Zander; a world no one could touch. She didn’t know how to put her feelings across to him and felt it was too soon to even try. “You’re a friend too. But don’t worry no one touches me the way you do.” She hadn’t expected it but she got a kick out of his jealously because it was unwarranted, he really had no idea what was happening inside her heart.

“Good let’s keep it that way.”

Mel managed to resist the urge to roll her eyes. “I have an hour before I have to be home.”

“Let’s get to work then.”