Chapter 1| Kenroy

(Chapter one)

The wooden bench was hard, shiny and unyielding. Kenroy had been sitting here for the better part of an hour, waiting to see the doctor. Although the seat was hard on his buttocks, it was the waiting that bothered him most. It seemed interminable and much worse than his ailment.

Kenroy was waiting to see the person who damage his childhood days, the person who suffer a diseases that was worse than war itself, the person who gave him these scars that was covered under his sweater and worn out t-shirt, The person who gave him the passion of playing an instrument that she once love and gave him the power to know every keys and tricks of it, the person who he didn't have an good memory of but still he loves her. why?

Kenroy detested hospitals, with their over-powering smell of antiseptic that permated the atmosphere.And the people huddled on the hard benches, some nibbling absent-mindedly at food or staring vacantly into space, seemed preoccupied with despair.

        There was a constant stream of human traffic in the passageway: doctors, nurses and other hospital personnel, people with appointments and a host of itinerant vendors. Watching the hospital human trafficing was much better than admiring the isolated hallway of his school and listening to students who call him a freak and the popular boys try to pick a fight with him. That was the reason he end up here on this hard bench waiting to see the person who damage his childhood days. He also had a detention to attend to later at four thirty with his English teacher since our gym teacher had on appointment.

"Hey," he heard someone tugging at his jean foot. He glanced down to see a brunette with a wet face glaring up at him with a cast plaster on her hand. She look as if she was facing the world most disastrous pain, her hair lay on her damp side of her face as her puffy eyes glare at her.

"Can you sign my cast?" she asked me with a determine look. I glimpse at her hand to find that no one have written a thing on it, could this little want anything more cliche.

"Please," she pouted looking as if she was going to cry. I glance at the center of the table to see a sharpie laying carelessly on the stock of magazines. I took it up, pull the top off and glance at the blank glance wondering what to write on cast of a broken girl arm whom I know nothing about.

"What's your name?" I asked as she got up and sat in my lap. she was a really brave one to sit in a stranger lap. "Desiree" she pronounce in her childlike tone. I press the sharpie on the tough surface and write 'Get well soon desiree- kenny'. I wrote the name that the person who I came to visit love to call me.

"Can you put a heart at the end?" she asked with a proud smile. "sure," I half smiled and drew a small heart at the top of my name.

"Thank you," she chirped landing a wet kiss on my cheeks before laying her head on my chest. I was was a bit startled by her actions but remained calm. Until the woman beside me whispered.

"Someone got a crush," she smiled at me.

"Kenroy Drummonds," Doctor Harris familiar voice sounded at the entrance of the waiting room.

"Oh my god Kenroy, I'm sorry." Nurse Allison exclaimed as she lifted the suddenly sleeping girl.

"She was supposed to be in a bed sleeping." she said hitching her up in her arms.

"She just ask pretty boy to sign her cast, I think she has a crush." the old woman sounded from beside me.

"Thank you so much, I'm too busy to sign my own daughter cast, what kind of mother am I?" she stated.

"No problem," she said with a genuine smile. "She would love if you visit her tommrrow after your therapy session," Nurse Allison said.

"ok," I said as Doctor Harris and head down the usual way to visit her until he stop at the door of his office.

"Aren't I going to see her?" I asked questionly as we enter his office to see a blond hair woman along with a man dress too formal for my liking. I notice the man stare at me with such anticipation in his eyes.

"Have a seat," Doctor Harris said to me as he walk to his desk and I went to my usual spot which was the window still. I drop my backpack and sat on the window still glaring at the couple before me. Who haven't taken their eyes away from me, they we're giving me the creep.

"First and first,"Doctor Harris began leaning back in his high office chair.

"The head department have decided to move your mother to the Sinclair Institution for better treatment."

"And who authorize this?" I asked bluntly. I watch as he took a deep breath and glance at the couple before glancing back at me.

"Your father,"

"My father?" I glare at doctor in shock. "Who the hell is he to suddenly give interest in the woman he gave up on for seven years ago?" I blurted out.

"I didn't give up on her," the guy from beside the woman spoke up.

"I gave her a choice," he said calmly.

"How can you a woman with schizophrenia a choice to make?"

"How can you just barge back into her life when she's constantly visiting the death bed, uh?"

"She needed you when she almost killed herself and her own son," I shouted getting angry and emotional.

"And there's no way your my father, he's my father." I pointed to Doctor Harris.

"He took care of me when she tired to kill me, he was the one to attend my wounds when she slit my wrist, he was one who saved me from a tub of overflowing blood!" I shouted.

"where were you uh?" I shouted feeling all my pent up anger erupting. "Off to find another shut with a crazy mind," I shouted.

"Kenroy calm down, I don't want you to get another heart attack," doctor Harris said pulling me back which I reluctantly did before picking up my back pack.

"Where are you going?" Doctor Harris asked as I head for the door.

"To visit my mother and to attend detention as usual." I snap opening the door and slamming it sprinting down the hallway that was half empty. I notice a few nurses glaring at me as I stop abruptly in my track to remember that I don't have any money to drive to the institution. I turn back into Doctor Harris office pushing the door open.

"Can I have some money please?" I asked not meeting gaze with my father and his slut of a woman.

"I could give you-"

"I want nothing from you," I barked at him as he retreat the money back to himself.

"Sorry Kenroy, but your mother is under strong medication and cannot be visited until tommrrow,"

"Today is her birthday! I got to see her!" I shouted.

"I know but you can spend all day with her tommrrow," he said calmly.

"No I want to see her now. Can you show me like you always did when she act up." I pleaded.

"I can't son, I have no control over that again." as the door blurted open to reveal my school bully and enemy Kemar Drummonds.

"Dad can I get.." he stop midway in his sentence when he saw me. I glare at my supposed father and storm out of the office smashing the mirror in pieces as I sprint out of the hospital into the blazing sunset.