Chapter 13: Too Late

So I finally managed to get this all typed and ready. I'm working on more, and will have it done as soon as possible. Right now, I've had more time than anticipated to write. I'll post the next chapter probably tomorrow.

***********************************************************************************************************

Artemis

I held Audrey’s hand tightly as we entered the Great Hall. I was unsure of how this night would unfold, whether I would be any closer to my goal or not. At any rate, I planned on enjoying this night before I had to get back to business.

I hadn’t told Audrey yet, but as Head Boy, it was I who had to lead the first dance. It was the tradition we had started when we decided to continue the dance without the Triwizard Tournament. All of the prefects along with the Head Boy and Girl were required to dance first. Admittedly, I was scared about it. This would be another first for me. Although I had been a prefect in my previous years, I had purposely never had a date to dance with, so I got to skip out on the dance.

When I led Audrey to a line of the other houses prefects and head people, she looked over at me a puzzled expression. We had lined up alphabetically by house, Slytherin being last of course.  They had saved the best for last.

“Why are we in line?” Audrey finally asked me.

I looked back at her, nervousness lingering in my eyes. “Well… I’m sure you remember the tradition? I have to lead the first dance.”

I watched her eyes widen in fear. “I can’t dance, Artemis.”

I smiled sympathetically. “Just follow my lead, and you’ll do fine.”

Suddenly, a voice rang through my ears. Dumbledore was doing his customary speech before the procession began. Just hearing the old man’s voice reminded me of the task at hand. My mind drifted deep into thought. I needed to continue my plot to befriend Harry Potter, using his own visions against him.

I snapped back into reality when applause rang throughout the hall and the line in front of us began to move. I offered Audrey my arm; she took it and we began to walk. As screaming students seemed to be mobbing us, I couldn’t help but think that this was what it must be like to be a celebrity.

Audrey and I reached the center of the hall in what seemed like only seconds. I felt my heart rate increase as the band began to play the first few notes. It had been a while since I had done any dancing, and I was relying on what I remembered from my youth. The first dance was always a waltz, which I was familiar with. Admittedly, my mother had taught me.

As the band broke into song, all of us began the spinning and twirling involved in the waltz. I looked at Audrey; she seemed to be catching on. In all honesty, I was just trying not to step on her toes. Although I knew how to dance, I was still not that good.

The song seemed to last an eternity. I was relieved when it finally dwindled to an end. Audrey and I stepped off the dance floor as the next song began to play. Before I could start to think about it or anything else, Nikkie and Harry popped out of the crowd.

“Aweeeee!” Nikkie exclaimed. “You guys were so cute!”

I saw Audrey blush out of the corner of my eye, though she said nothing. I took advantage of the situation. I turned to Harry and wondered, “I thought you were a prefect?”

He shook his head. “No,” he muttered, “that’s Ron and Hermione.”

“Surely you would’ve made a better prefect than Weasley,” I decided. “The bloody creeper…”